Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 5 May 2019

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 5th May 2019



Once again, I have to apologise for taking so long to get back in touch. This lurgy has been quite vicious & there hasn’t been much to report.

I did attend the ANZAC Day game between Essendon & Collingwood, which was one of the most exciting matches I have ever been to. The atmosphere was respectful during the pre-game ceremony, but was at fever-pitch during the game, especially as the Essendon supporters could sense a famous victory on the back of Joe Daniher’s amazing feats. The Pies were lucky to prevail by 4 points in a nail-biting last quarter. Wes had very kindly driven me to Ballan Station & picked me up at Woodend afterwards as I missed the Ballarat train by 2 minutes. We got home just as the next Ballan train would have been pulling into the station.

My next activity was Sunday breakfast and I lasted about an hour before Wes had to take me home. It was good to be out and catching up with friends at The Food Gallery.

On Monday there was a fire at the other end of our street near Cornish Hill. Four fire engines attended & Wes was able to show them where the fire hydrant lives (down at our end of Duke Street). It looked like burning off that had gotten out of control. Fortunately, it was easily managed, and our only inconvenience was dirty water for an hour or so.                      
   


Morse getting very comfy when nobody was looking

I had to collect refurbished orthotics in Ballarat, so Wes drove me there on Tuesday morning. While we were there we voted in the upcoming Federal Election. I used to enjoy election day, but since I developed chronic fatigue, it is yet another activity that has become stressful. The set-up in Ballarat was excellent with the Labor candidate, Catherine King, on hand to greet everyone & plenty of booths with room to spread out the ever-increasing Senate ballot paper.

The rains finally arrived & we had over 70mls in our gauge, which was wonderful. So many people had just about run out of water & with that quantity most tanks would be full again. Ours certainly are. The boys enjoyed it immensely & had mud baths as often as they could manage. Everywhere is looking greener & more vibrant with the influx of water. There are even more birds around, all singing happily as they forage for the seed we leave out for them.


A stunning sunset viewed from our windows

Sandra came to clean on Wednesday morning, and I took the opportunity to catch up with Judi at Muffins & More over pots of Jasmine tea & yummy muffins. We hadn’t seen each other for at least three weeks and there was much to catch up on (mostly from her as I have done very little). Afterwards I had my nails done & a fringe trim, before going home to rest.

On Thursday I had an appointment with my GP, Greg Stewart, who gave me antibiotics, a repeat, more asthma prescriptions & the flu injection. Wes & I were booked in, but not until 21st May and Greg thought that was too long for me to wait.

Wes had two meetings that night: 1/Daylesford Cinema has decided not to continue showing films at the Town Hall as it is not attracting sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile. Volunteers were invited to get together over a drink & chat about the future when films will be shown in the next Rex Cinema. 2/The ALP branch met to discuss polling day & Wes, although he was happy to look after a small booth, was given Daylesford from 8am to 11am.

On Friday night, Collingwood played Port Adelaide at the Docklands Stadium. I had decided it would be madness to go as I wasn’t feeling well enough & I wouldn’t get home until 1am afterwards. I am sorry I missed the Pies play their best quarter of footy this year and they set up the good win in that first quarter. The match was made very poignant by the attendance of 6-year old Kyron McGuire from WA, who has aggressive brain cancer. The Club brought him & his family over from WA, invited him to training & lunch on Wednesday, gave him his own jumper with Adam Treloar’s number on, allowed him to run out with the team, organised for him to toss the coin before the game & finally invited him & his father into the rooms to sing the song after the game. Kyron will certainly have something to talk about at Show & Tell in school next week!


Yesterday morning we drove to Trentham for the 12th Annual Spudfest. We went early to avoid the crowds as this has turned into a very popular & fun country event. We bought lots of Dutch Cream potatoes (our favourites), met our friend, Bob White, looked unsuccessfully for the family selling daffodil bulbs and came back home. We had hoped to have a cuppa at Chaplin’s, but it was already very busy.

Today we are off to the Sunday Market before breakfast at The Food Gallery. Then Wes & Barbara are heading to the Docklands to see Carlton play North Melbourne. The boys and I will have a quiet morning and spend the afternoon watching the footy. I’ve gotten back into knitting beanies & mittens now that I am up & about more hours in the day. Thanks to Kathy Lazzaro, I still have plenty of good wool in interesting colours to produce bright little beanies for toddlers & youngsters, which is the current demand.


Morse & Lewis waiting for dinner to be served!

No comments:

Post a Comment