Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 19 May 2019

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 19th May 2019



We started our week with a fun breakfast at The Food Gallery with Barbara, Judi, David & Glen. There was plenty to talk about over our yummy meals & hot drinks.

As it was Mothers’ Day, I had a lazy time watching Aussie Rules football & knitting a child’s long scarf in shades of purple.

  
Lovely photo of my sister-in-law, Mary Saundry, with her grandkids – Chiara, Mikaela, Dante & Michael celebrating Mothers’ Day together

On Monday, I went walking with my three boys again before heading to gym for the first time in 4 weeks. Barry was most helpful & I got through my programme but really knew I’d had a workout by the time I was finished! Wes started planting the daffodil bulbs as well as working in the backyard for a while to keep Lewis & Morse happy.

The next morning, while more gardening went on, I headed to Muffins & More for a lovely catch-up with Judi. This week has been full of cold nights followed by beautiful sunny, crisp late Autumn days & I enjoyed walking to and from our get-together. In the afternoon, Nick came to give me a massage, which involves treats for Lewis & Morse as well as persuading them not to put their feet up on the massage table. After about 5 minutes they fall asleep, preferably just where Nick wants to stand!

After gym on Wednesday, I caught up with Dot at Muffins & More for our first game of Mah Jong since October last year. We were a little rusty & pleased to have our Mah Jong books to help us remember our favourite games. It was so good to be playing once again & thinking of everyone we have played with over the years, especially Annie Smith, Carol Bruce & Valerie Lefel.


Daniel Lazzaro showing us his 12th birthday winnings

After lunch I caught up with good friend, Annie Smith, for afternoon tea at her place with her & her daughter, Fiona. Maisie, the Irish Water Spaniel, was particularly pleased with the treat the Lewis & Morse had sent her!


Lewis & Morse cuddly under their blanket

Thursday saw me drive to Strathmore to spend time with my sister, Leanne, who I hadn’t seen for a month. On the way, I delivered my latest crop of beanies & mittens & a scarf as there had been an emergency call for these items in children’s sizes here in Daylesford.

Among other things, Leanne gave me some twisted willow that had been given to her, but it was so tall it overwhelmed her lounge & we decided it had to go. Lewis was absolutely delighted with these lovely sticks, although they were too awkward for him to get through the dog door and take to bed at night!


Lewis (black collar) is sharing this long stick with Morse on their outside bed

That night we were very sad to hear that Bob Hawke had died, aged 89. We had a lot to do with Bob, especially once he became our local member & we famously invited him to dinner at our place on a day which Channel 9’s 60 Minutes decided would be the day they did A Day in the Life of Bob Hawke. At the end he used our phone to ring Hazel to let her know he would be late as there was some serious number-crunching going on.

It was very icy on Friday when we walked the boys before I went shopping at Coles & Wes drove to Clunes to pick up some rocks for the garden. Wes washed the boys on his return as he had to leave early yesterday for the polling booth.

We frocked up at lunchtime & joined Judi, Michael, Jan, Di & Jeff for a lovely lunch at Boathouse Daylesford. The conversation flowed & we enjoyed everything – food, drink, laughter & ambience!


Judi, Jeff & Di


Michael, Di & Wes


Jan, Judi & Jeff

We arrived home for a very quiet late afternoon, although Wes headed out to the Daylesford Hotel at 6pm to catch up with other ALP Branch members & get his instructions & gear for opening the booth yesterday morning. He was joined later by Jeff Bain and they knocked back a few more red wines!

Yesterday the boys were appalled to be woken at 5am for their walk. Wes had to be at the Daylesford Secondary School by 7am. It was too early for me as well and I looked everywhere for The Age to read in bed with a pot of tea. It finally arrived at 7.30am by which time I was well & truly up & dressed. I headed off to the MCG to see Collingwood play St Kilda, in what turned out to be a very entertaining match that the Pies only won in the last quarter.

Meanwhile Wes did two polling booth shifts & let me know there was a lack of excitement at either of them, which was an indication of what was to come. I arrived home in time for the post-election count & it was obvious from early on that Labor would be struggling to form a government. Tony Abbott was defeated by former Olympian, Zali Steggall, which was a bright light in the evening, although I thought Tony’s concession speech was very gracious & allowed his supporters to celebrate his 25 years as their local member. 
Congratulations to the Coalition on their win.

Tara & Diederik Haneveld, Jan Pengilley & Warren Maloney outside Yandoit Polling booth

No comments:

Post a Comment