Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Monday 2 October 2017

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Monday, 2nd October 2017




Sorry this is a day late, but I was too tired yesterday, when I returned from 48 hours in the big smoke, staying with Danny Millman at Northcote, which enabled me to get to & from the Grand Final with ease. And what a wonderful day it was! Danny & I had breakfast at Square & Compass, which was packed with excited, confident Adelaide supporters, before I walked down to the ground & found my seat.

I spent time with Gayle Gibson before doing my traditional walk around the stadium watching the colourful crowds arrive. Unlike the Adelaide supporters, Richmond fans were nervous & anxious, as well as excited.

The pre-match entertainment was fine; every seat had a seat cushion on it courtesy of a sponsor; the sun was shining; the MCG was full with thousands next door at the Punt Road Oval watching on a big screen as well, and the setting was perfect for a great game. Adelaide started well & I wasn’t the only worried person at quarter-time. However, the Tigers got their game going in the second quarter & kept the Crows goalless, which is no mean feat. The second half belonged to Richmond & they posted an unexpected, but richly deserved win by 48 points (8 goals).

I cried when their coach, Damien Hardwick, gave a modest, but emotional speech, and again, when Tiger hero, Matthew Richardson, presented the Premiership Cup to Damien and captain, Trent Cochin.

What a lovely surprise to find Greta & Penny at Danny’s place when I arrived home after the game!

The past week has been a very busy one, especially for Wes. He spent many hours at the Wood Shed helping Brian Nash display the paintings & words of the Villages of Hepburn Shire. He also spent many more hours at the computer typing up the catalogue, producing the stories to accompany the paintings, and making up all the signage that was needed. It brought back memories of the three Rotary Art Shows we organised – with only one artist, this was certainly less stressful!

There was a good turn up to the Opening on Thursday night – lots of locals, lots of our friends who came to support Wes & quite a few paintings were sold, which thrilled Brian. The Wood Shed is a perfect venue for an art show, with lots of wall space, good lighting & plenty of parking close by. Wes gave a lovely speech, when invited to do so.

On Friday we had breakfast at Boathouse Daylesford with everyone who had travelled here & stayed overnight – Karen & Malcolm, Wendy & Roberto, Warwick & Carol. It was a huge success, considering the three couples didn’t know each other before then. Everyone was most impressed with the venue, the service & their breakfasts.


Warwick, Karen, Wes & Wendy deep in conversation.

My week has also been busy – I went to gym twice & was able to do most of my exercises, although not all. Dot & I played Mah Jong; Wes & I were both able to see the beautiful film, Maudie, at the Daylesford Cinema, and I was able to do a few short walks without getting too tired. Most afternoons were spent reading or knitting beanies, as I really needed to conserve my energy for the weekend.
And I am so pleased I did, as I was quite exhausted by yesterday – it was emotional being involved with the Exhibition, (Brian has sold 10 paintings to date); with catching up with friends, both local & not; with the footy, and with worrying about whether I had to fit in jury duty as well. Fortunately, that was cancelled on Thursday afternoon, as I don’t think I could have coped.




Wes was busy while I was away – Barbara had been unwell at the start of the week, rallied to come to the Exhibition, but then became quite sick the next day & has been in bed recovering ever since. He has been looking after her & making her meals.

Yesterday, after Danny was kind enough to drive me to Spencer Street post breakfast, I caught a blissfully quiet train to Ballan, where Wes & Bilbo greeted me. It is always lovely to be home, although Danny is a very thoughtful host & I did enjoy staying with him & appreciated his generosity.
  
This is our latest very stunning rose, called Fearless – can’t wait for all these new plants to flower!


Enjoy your week & I hope to be back on track next Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment