Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 8 October 2017

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 8th October 2017


We’ve had a lovely week – starting with cold mornings that usher in beautiful Spring days – the temperature has reached as high as 20˚, much to the delight of everyone who is sick of the cold, rainy weather.

I am looking out into the garden where the camellias are in full bloom, the roses are leafy & budding, the rosemary & lavender are in flower, and the seaside daisies are about to explode into a profusion of blooms.

Our grandest pink camellia courtesy of Marjorie Atkinson many years ago
In the greenhouse, the coriander is flourishing, the perennial rocket has come back to life & baby spinach is in abundance. On the verandas, the new dwarf lemon tree is budding, the snow peas are ready to harvest & the chives are green & almost ready to be cut.
Our lovely next-door neighbours, Rob & Dene, are in Japan at present, so we have been feeding their worm farm, watering their plants, collecting their mail & local papers & looking after their sour dough culture (which is a first for me).


Here is Dene enjoying a drink in an amazing Shinjuku Robot Restaurant in Sapporo

On Tuesday I set off to see the film Gifted at Daylesford Cinema, but the children’s film, Captain Underpants, had also been advertised at 10am & there was a crowd of children & parents waiting to see it. As I had already bought a ticket to Gifted, I was asked what I wanted to do & of course, I relinquished my ticket & agreed to the children’s film being shown. It would have been very cruel to have disappointed them all.

It was a beautiful morning, so I walked around town & took the long way back home, where I settled down to read The Age with a pot of jasmine tea. There is still plenty to read about Richmond’s Grand Final win, as well as Melbourne Storm’s triumph in the NRL (a game that fails to engage me in any way).


Bilbo Baggins enjoying the sun & my company (I think)

Judi & I caught up for a cuppa after gym on Wednesday – there was no Mah Jong as Dot & John were away helping one of their grand-daughters. The new owners of Muffins & More have the same attitude to their customers as Ann-Maree & Heather did & always greet me & their other patrons with a smile. Business seems to be brisk & lots of locals are continuing to turn up to this popular & inexpensive meeting place.




Wes mowed lawns on Thursday & Friday mornings – ours & no 80’s first, followed by Barbara’s. Her gardener has lots of weeding to do, so Wes thought he would help out by mowing. Meanwhile I drove to Ballarat to find some sheets to go with a beautiful quilt cover that Leanne gave Wes & I as a thank you gift. We were keen to get a bright colour, like yellow or red, but they are not being made this season, so I bought black instead. We are very thrilled with the result & are enjoying the new look & feel of a brand-new bedlinen.


In the afternoon we were shocked to read in an email that our friend, Al Ebenreuter, had died very suddenly when warming up for a gym session that morning. He had recently celebrated his 80th birthday & was in good form. We had seen him at the Exhibition Opening on 28th September, never dreaming that would be the last time we spoke with him. I first met Al & Kathy in 2000, when I started volunteering at the Info Centre on Monday mornings & they did the afternoon shift.

Wes visited Kathy to see what practical help he could offer & she was most appreciative. She was receiving gifts of food & flowers & offers of help from all their local friends.



P.S. Yesterday I delivered 9 beanies to Jodie in Wheat Sheaf & was asked to keep knitting as everyone loves them, which is very satisfying indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment