Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 24 September 2017

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 24th September 2017

 


Last Sunday morning Danny Millman sent us a message to say his eldest daughter, Lauren, had given birth to a second daughter, Pippa Veronica, & all was well. He was very touched that her middle name was his mother’s name.

Breakfast was fun – Margot was back complaining of the cold after 6 weeks on the Gold Coast; Gail & Terry joined us for a very rare visit; Janine & I were wearing the same colour possum jumpers (-3˚ when we woke), and we happily covered all sorts of topics. Later that day, Wes discovered he had Pasquale’s keys in his pocket, so we had to go back to the Food Gallery, where they were closing up for the day. Pasquale was very relieved.

Wes had volunteered to show the film, The Time of Their Lives, starring Pauline Collins & Joan Collins at 1.30pm that afternoon. I decided to join him & was very pleased I did. It is a romantic comedy with some serious life lessons along the way. I don’t know much about Joan Collins, but I have loved watching Pauline Collins ever since Shirley Valentine.



Our Mazda 2 was due for its 80,000 service, as well as a new passenger air-bag, so I drove to Ballarat on Tuesday morning to get this done. It was my first big drive in over a month, so I left in plenty of time as I tend to get lost finding Mazda now that it has moved to Wendouree. The car was needed for 6 hours & I managed to fill them in without tiring myself out. I started with breakfast at Café Lekker, a favourite spot; bought some knitting needles as I have worn my 4.00mm sets out; picked up a bottle of Edradour whisky for Wes to say thank you for looking after me, and booked a ticket for the 11.15am session of Hampstead, starring Diane Keaton. I loved the film & was so pleased I had seen it.
Gym has been good – I have been taking it easily with Barry’s guidance, and feel much better for the exercise, as well as some walking. I’ve caught up on all the paperwork & computer stuff that needed doing & am feeling back on top of things at last.


The latest crop of beanies & berets for Keeping Daylesford Warm

Dot & I played Mah Jong again this week, which was most enjoyable. We are so lucky that the new owners of Muffins & More are just as obliging as Ann-Maree & are happy for us to occupy a table for a couple of hours.

On Thursday, I had a very relaxing & enjoyable facial with Emma at EKO, as my skin had suffered through my being sick & inside for a month or so. Afterwards, (the wrong way round), I finally had a fringe trim with Lyndal after 6 weeks. I was definitely looking like Cousin Itt by the time I got to her.

Our niece, Jessie, was allowed to come home from Monash Hospital after 33 radiotherapy sessions & her rehab will be done from home. Jessie & her family have been amazing & everyone is so thrilled for them all. However, our friend, Fraser Gibson, had a fall in his backyard & broke his hip, which has him in Epworth recovering. Also, Malcolm Stevenson’s mother, Maureen, did the same, but at age 96, she was very fortunate that the doctors could operate successfully. Malcolm flew to Caloundra to be with her.

Yesterday we drove to Melbourne, where Wes dropped me off at Leanne’s place as it was 6 weeks since I had visited her. We spent a couple of very happy hours together, before Wes arrived back. He had hoped to see Fraser, but couldn’t. However, they had a good chat on the phone.


The chef about to serve one of his beautiful quiches

Along with most of Victoria, we had our fingers & toes crossed that Richmond would beat Greater Western Sydney & progress to their first Grand Final since 1982. They duly did in fine style in front of 94,000+ at the MCG – approximately 3,000 of those were GWS supporters, so it was a wonderful, if one-sided, atmosphere. We were at the MCG when the Tigers last won a flag in 1980 – they beat Collingwood by the then record margin of 81 points, in a most disappointing game if you were a Magpie supporter. I’ll certainly be barracking for the Tigers next Saturday against the Adelaide Crows, who easily accounted for Geelong on Friday night.

On Friday, Wes helped Brian set up the Wood Shed Gallery for their Villages of Hepburn Shire Exhibition, which opens on Thursday night. We are very excited about it, especially after all the work both of them have done to produce a lasting written & pictorial history of the area.

This week’s new rose is called Shirley’s Rose


Bilbo & I are about to set out to the Sunday Market to fill up with fruit & vegetables, dog treats, eggs, wool & perhaps another rose. Then we will join the others for breakfast at The Food Gallery, where our friend, Glenn Mack, will be a welcome guest as he is house-sitting in Daylesford this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment