Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 17 September 2017

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 17th September 2017



Last Sunday was most enjoyable with a trip to the Sunday Market, followed by breakfast with friends. When we arrived back home, I made a batch of minestrone & amazingly, by 3pm I was back in bed, exhausted! There was no gym this week, which meant I was able to get back into gear slowly & had a most enjoyable massage with Nick Massaro on Monday morning, after doing a bit of shopping at Tonna’s, our local fruit & vegetables & deli shop, run by the Maltese Tonna family.

Kathy Lazzaro’s friend, Maree, had sent me two more parcels of wool that she obtained from her sister & it has been very welcome indeed, as I am back creating beanies for blokes, both young & old.

I’ve also started rereading my Michael Innes collection of mostly old green Penguins, which sadly are starting to fall apart. He was a most prolific writer & produced 37 John Appleby crime novels over 50 years, as well as 30+ works under his real name, J I M Stewart (Scottish of course). He was a celebrated academic who spent a few years at the University of South Australia in the late 30s.


It was a red-letter day on Wednesday – I played Mah Jong with Dot after a couple of months missed while she was away & I was unwell; Wes took Barbara to hydrotherapy at the Kyneton pool, and Wayne from Barclays finally repaired our dishwasher. A tiny piece of plastic had broken in the door & it took him 40 minutes to replace the piece, which wasn’t in stock & had to be ordered specially! We immediately filled the dishwasher with all the items we had been handwashing over the last month.


Lovely recent photo of Tom Tyrrell & Cheryl Metcalfe – old friends enjoying a rare catch up.

Tuesday’s film was The Big Sick, which is a dreadful title for an uplifting & thoughtful true-life story. Wes was able to watch it & we both enjoyed it very much. It was lovely to see Bronwen Scarffe there & I only wished I could have spent time with her afterwards, but I was desperate to have a coughing fit the minute the film ended!

Brian Nash’s Exhibition of paintings of the Villages of Hepburn Shire, is opening on Thursday, 28th September. We have been delighted to receive acceptances from friends, Karen & Malcolm Stevenson, who are driving from Beacon Cove; from Wendy Owen & Roberto Antonini, who are coming from Wallington, and numerous locals, who won’t have too far to travel. It is going to be a busy few days, as I am heading to Melbourne sometime the next day in preparation for the AFL Grand Final, where I have a reserved seat, which arrived in Friday’s mail. I will be staying in Northcote with Danny Millman & will be barracking for the Tigers if they win their Preliminary Final & make it.

        
Bilbo sleeping in the sun’s rays during this week – this is for all his admirers to enjoy!


We had lunch on Thursday at Boathouse Daylesford to catch up with our dear friend, Glenn Mack. Glenn had been camping near Mount Franklin & came into Daylesford to see friends. He had dinner the night before with Gillie, Judi & Michael, and we were pleased to be able to give him lunch. Boathouse has introduced mulled wine & a most enjoyable drop it is – perfect for these cold days.


On Friday, I had a manicure & pedicure with Alanna at EKO Skin Care Spa & took this photo of their pretty Spring garden. I have had to postpone so many appointments over the last month & am getting back on top of things gradually. I did suggest to Alanna that if she could give me a fringe trim, it would round off a lovely couple of hours!

We were glued to the TV on Friday night watching Geelong easily account for Sydney in their semi-final. The Swans players looked tired & were no match for Geelong’s ferocity at the ball. Last night we were barracking for West Coast to beat GWS, but they were completely overwhelmed by the Giants, who now face Richmond for a place in the Grand Final.

We’ve woken this morning to -3˚ & a frost, so the early walk was cancelled & everyone had a sleep in until 6.30am. Bilbo is now waiting anxiously at my feet for me to finish typing, put his coat on & take him to the Market.


Pretty Wedding Day rose, which has joined the drift of roses along the side fence

No comments:

Post a Comment