Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 28 April 2024

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 28th April 2024

 

We started our week in the usual way - walk around Lake Daylesford early on Sunday, followed by a trip to the Market and then we met Les, Fiona & Brodie at the Cemetery for a catch up. Morse was excited to see all three and chased around madly, while Brodie only showed interest in the ball that Les kept throwing for him. We came home to a late breakfast of crumpets & honey, and then settled down to watch the Collingwood & Carlton games again, as they had been such good victories. 

On Monday, after a very cold walk around Lake Daylesford, I did the supermarket shopping early, put out the street's bins, and brought home our usual post shopping breakfast - a coffee scroll for Wes, but an apple scroll for me - it's been 34 years since I last had a cup of coffee and still don't like the taste or smell! 

We then headed to the garden to plant 100 freesia and 75 daffodil bulbs in the few remaining places that don't already have bulbs. It was hard work as most of them were planted on an incline, which needed some weeding before they could go in. 


Early morning Autumnal view of Daylesford from the highest point of Duke Street

Wes woke on Tuesday feeling quite unwell, and realised he was probably suffering from food poisoning. He moved to the downstairs guest bedroom at once, just in case it was something else that I might catch, and spent much of the week recovering. I had to leave him at 9am after my Zoom with Leanne, as I had a dental appointment in Ballarat to replace two more metal fillings that were about to crumble. Fortunately, he didn't become any worse while I was away. 

There was no Mah Jong on Wednesday, so I moved my Thursday Zoom chats to that morning, as I wasn't going to be available on ANZAC Day. As usual, I had a most interesting catch up with Terry Borg, and then Kathy, Lib, Joyce & I ranged over a variety of topics.
Our weeping Japanese maple doing its Autumn thing

I have been knitting a new dog coat for Morse, bright red, so we can spot him in Daylesford cemetery, and it is fun, after what seems like years of scarves, mittens, beanies & berets to keep other people warm. It is good to have a project like that when I have to just sit for a while, and yet I still feel as though I am doing something.

Wes was too unwell on ANZAC morning for us to attend the services, and it was raining, which stopped me going out. James, our neighbour, was heading back to Southbank and gave me a lift to their unit, from where I could walk to the MCG easily. What an amazing experience yet again! The ANZAC ceremony was very moving and enhanced by the participation of The Roulettes, the RAAF's aerobatic team, which is based at Sale. 

The game itself was a wonderful spectacle with some individual and team highlights, culminating in the second draw in 29 years. I felt that was the perfect result as both teams had given everything and every player was exhausted by the end. Our captain, Darcy Moore, again spoke well, this time begging everyone to support the ANZAC Appeal which benefits returned service men & women struggling with homelessness, mental health and displacement. 

This amazing mark by Jamie Elliott was one of many stunning moments

Wes & Morse picked me up from Ballan Station after the game & we got home around 9pm. It took all of Friday for us to recover from that and decided me that I would return my ticket for the Collingwood/Carlton game this coming Friday, as it doesn't start until 7.40pm, which means getting back to Daylesford around 1am. I had been looking forward to catching up with Laura Borg, who is in Australia from Thailand for a short time, and very excited to be a guest of her mother's good friend, Liz, in the MCC. Luckily Laura understands, and I will have a chance to Zoom with her before she returns to Thailand. 

Yesterday, Wes started to feel a bit better, and was able to sit up for most of the day, instead of being in bed. We took Morse to the cemetery early so he could run around chasing bunnies, which he did happily and wore himself out. 

Morse recovering after his busy morning!

The Blues & the Cats played a good game of footy late that afternoon, but in spite of everything that Carlton threw at them, they couldn't manage to topple the unbeaten ladder leaders. The big difference was kicking for goal, where Geelong were very accurate early and Carlton wasted too many opportunities to take the lead. 

This morning we've been back to Daylesford Cemetery for Morse to have a good run, as Wes is still not 100%. He has managed to keep some food down and slept better last night, and will have a very quiet day again. We had hoped to host Rob, Dene & Glen for a morning tea catch up, but we've postponed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment