Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 21 April 2024

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 21st April 2024

We just love this cartoon, courtesy of FB

Our first week back after our break has been busy, as they always are - so much to do getting back into usual routines etc. We started on Sunday with a visit to the Daylesford Market, where everyone was thrilled to see us, and Morse was delighted to be back to normal. 

Afterwards, we drove to Strathmore, where we spent a most enjoyable visit with Leanne, arriving back here with a hummingbird cake 6 hours after we had left. Morse had enjoyed a very quiet time with a large bone and no neighbours to bother! That night Wes served steamed shitake mushrooms & bok choi on rice - nearly as good at Chef Dong.

On Monday, after supermarket shopping, we tackled cleaning the lounge & kitchen - a job that is always easier when done by two. Everywhere looks sparkling clean again, and hopefully it will stay that way for the week. I was quite thrilled when we were finished to head off to Sarah for a remedial massage and she freed up my neck, which had gotten stiff with all the driving we did.

It was an early start for us all on Tuesday - while Wes & Morse walked around Lake Daylesford on a nippy morning, I had my first chat for a month with Jeff, my aunt in Lincolnshire. She was able to tell me that she has been able to find new homes for nearly all the possessions she needed to rehouse, and that her house is on the market with a viewing this week. Afterwards, I caught up with Leanne on Zoom, where she was still on a high after our good time together. 

Wes & Leanne having a chat

Then we were off to Springs Medical Centre, where I had an appointment with my doctor, Ellie, who is just back from maternity leave. She had a daughter, Pippa, to join her 3-year-old, Billie, and she looked remarkably well and happy for someone who is getting disturbed nights. I discovered that an issue I have had for 3 months with a very sensitive tongue is called "Geographic Tongue" and should disappear, or may stay for good. I hope the former, as I can't tolerate chillis at present, and the chef is complaining that his dishes are too bland.

We then moved waiting rooms and saw Dr Brad, who had to okay our flu injections, which were delivered very efficiently by Nurse Serena. Neither of us had any reaction and we are pleased to have some protection for the coming Winter ills. 

On Wednesday, we took Morse to Daylesford Cemetery for a run and watched a beautiful sunrise, before going to Leitches Creek to pump mineral water. I then went back to Springs Medical to have my annual blood test, before heading to Muffins & More for a pot of Jasmine tea, while I waited for Judi to arrive from Ballarat to play Mah Jong. Heen, the newish owner of the café, was appalled to discover that I supplied the tea and then paid for it to be served, so she has bought a big bag of it herself - a lovely surprise. That afternoon, Wes headed to Mooltan in Hepburn to chat about politics with Jenny & Eddie Beacham & David Reilly.

This stunning Portland sunrise came from our neighbour Glen's new camera

Wes had a very successful Jackson Group Zoom on Thursday morning at the earlier time of 7am, which meant we had a slightly shorter walk to make sure he was ready. Afterwards, I had a great Zoom with Old Friends - Kathy, Lib & Joyce, where we were able to help each other with issues that have arisen in our lives. Then, in this busy week, I went to EKO for my last facial at their premises. Emma has decided to concentrate on sales of products, which are going well, and have a break from hands-on treatments. EKO will be missed by me and all the locals who have loved going there over the past 10 years. 

On Friday morning, it was too wet to walk, and none of us minded as there was a very cold wind as well. After a great Zoom chat with Leanne, I headed back to Springs Medical for an appointment with Peter, the podiatrist, who I see every three months. We're getting a good relationship going, after a shaky early start, when I discovered he knew nothing about Aussie Rules and much preferred Rugby League. This time, he told me he will be playing in a charity AFL game in Castlemaine where he lives, over the King's Birthday weekend in June! 

Wes & Bob White had a lovely lunch together at Passing Clouds Winery, in Musk, which is about 10 minutes from Daylesford, and 10 minutes from Trentham, where Bob lives. I would have enjoyed spending time with Bob & Wes, but the menu doesn't cater for non-meat eaters at all.

It's been so cold lately we decided to move to our Winter doona cover, so I spent the day washing all our bedding, and making the changes. 


Yesterday Wes & Morse drove me to Ballan to catch an early train to Melbourne for the Collingwood vs Port Adelaide game at the MCG, where we were not favoured to win. I had invited my Mate, Danny, and we met up at the Shane Warne statue before going into the ground and having lunch in the Hugh Trumble café, which has been very nicely refurbished since our last visit. 


We visited the MCC Library, which is celebrating 150 years, and had a chat with Gayle Gibson on our way to our seats, where we were in the back row on Level 2 with a great view of the ground. The Pies started very slowly and we were all worried, until someone flicked a switch (probably Scott Pendlebury) and we kicked 8 goals in a row to take the lead, and were never headed. It was an exciting match to witness and lovely to do it with such good company.

I listened to the Carlton vs GWS match on the train coming home, and Carlton did a similar thing after letting GWS take the lead in the second quarter. Wes & Morse picked me up at Ballan, and we decided not to listen to the game, but watch the last quarter live when we got home. The Blues registered a very important win over the previously unbeaten Giants, and when we heard that Daylesford had beaten Hepburn in the local footy, we had the trifecta of unlikely results!

Needless to say we're exhausted today and it will be a very quiet one after the Market & a trip to Daylesford Cemetery. I've got to get the energy to do it all again this Thursday, when Collingwood & Essendon play on ANZAC Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment