Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 8 October 2023

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 8th October 2023

 
This is Morse!

Well, I left you last Sunday morning as I was heading back to The Hotel Windsor for another beautiful breakfast. There were lots of excited Collingwood supporters there busy debriefing on the Grand Final, which, if the press can be believed, is the best this century. We were all wishing that Daylight Saving hadn't started today of all days!

My current favourite Hotel Windsor breakfast - granola with poached fruit & coconut yoghurt

Wes and Morse picked me up at 10.15am and we were back in Daylesford 90 minutes later. The trip went quickly as we chatted about the footy almost non-stop. Morse was thrilled to see me, and had been looking around the house for me while I was in Melbourne. I unpacked, did a huge load of washing, and settled down for the replay, which Wes had recorded in its entirety. Then I read the weekend papers, and it was time for Champagne and dinner!

On Monday, after supermarket shopping, we had School, where we did our postal votes for the referendum; accepted invitations to attend an ALP Life Members' function at Parliament House, and sorted out logistics of the next couple of weeks. I took my GF posters to the local newsagency to have them laminated, but their machine was too small! The rest of my day was spent catching up on congratulatory messages and ironing, and just a little bit more replay.

Early Grand Final morning in the Fitzroy Gardens as I walked to join the queue for a seat

That night Wes cooked a whole rainbow trout perfectly and served it with Dutch Cream potatoes and broccolini. We demolished a bottle of Champagne and were very glad it was wet on Tuesday morning, as Morse was the only family member interested in a walk at 5.20am!

Spot the trout!

We both have had busy Zoom weeks - Wes spoke to Barbara in NZ twice, as well as his Overseas Friends, and a Family Tree Maker get-together. I chatted with Leanne on both Tuesday and Friday; had a lovely catch up with Jan in Maleny on Tuesday, and a footy-flavoured chat with Old Friends on Thursday after Wes finished his Overseas Zoom. 

As well, Judi & I played Mah Jong on Wednesday, and will be very sorry to say goodbye to Kelly when she leaves Muffins & More in a couple of weeks. Wes washed the floors that morning, and while they were drying, he and Morse drove to Ballarat to stock up on whisky, gin, tuna and Atlantic salmon. He took my Grand Final posters to be laminated, but the queue is so long they won't be ready until tomorrow. He also hoped to get a haircut, as the Daylesford barber has retired, and no-one took on the challenge. Sadly, the new owners of his preferred salon have increased the price, and he gave it a miss. 

On Thursday I visited Dr James Smith, who I am seeing while my usual GP, Ellie, has her second baby. I had been told about a medication, Ubinquinol, that was supposed to be helpful for energy levels, but James advised that there is no clinical evidence to support that. We decided not to even try it in case I had a similar experience to when I was on Naltrexone. He prescribed some anti-inflammatories for a strained ligament in my right foot, which was sustained on Preliminary Final day - still don't know how!


Wes's pride and joy in the front garden - two special azaleas

Our neighbour, Glen, had a very happy review with her surgeon, and she is now allowed to ditch her walker, wear the moon boot outside only, and start to think about driving again. She is so thrilled with this news, as are her family and friends, as she has been housebound more or less since mid-January. Wes has parked her car back outside her front gate, so she can sit in it and familiarise herself with it again. 

Yesterday was spent quietly in preparation for today's visit to my sister, Leanne, in Strathmore. Wes is planning to work on a further garden bed, and Leanne and I have a project or two to undertake. The Spring Racing Carnival started in earnest, so we watched a few races to see how some of the fancied horses will go over the next few weeks. (How good was last year's Melbourne Cup winner, Gold Trip!). As well, the AFLW is still on, and the One-Day International World Cricket Cup has started so there is plenty to occupy us, even though the AFLM has finished.

A corner of the backyard is looking wonderful with jasmine creeper covering an old gum trunk

No comments:

Post a Comment