Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 1 October 2023

Daylesford Grand Final Dispatch - Sunday, 1st October 2023

 
Well done, Woodstock!

This has been a wonderful week, and I found it hard to concentrate on everyday chores with the Grand Final looming. We were both sorry that footy had prevented us from attending Genevieve Spiteri's 18th birthday celebration, but her father, Matt, sent us a good selection of photos.


Proud parents - Sara Lacey & Matthew Spiteri with their daughters, Ava & Genna

Wes had a busy Sunday after the disappointment of the previous night - he finished writing a short story on one of his relatives, and, after cooking us a yummy smoked salmon spaghetti meal, hosted a Zoom on Planning in the Hepburn Shire. I was asleep by the time he came to bed, and discovered the next morning that he was pleased to have been involved.

We decided to do cleaning for School, as I was too excited to learn anything new, and the guest room and library are looking much better for a Spring clean - with windows & floors washed, and surfaces dusted and polished. While I had a much-needed remedial massage with Sarah Hunt, Wes went to Mitre 10 to order all the paints we need for the patching that Les is going to do to complete his work at our place. 

That night was the AFL Brownlow Medal Presentation for the Fairest & Best Player of 2023. Collingwood's Nick Daicos (3rd) had been the front-runner until he was injured and missed the last few games, which opened the door for Lachie Neale of Brisbane to win his second Brownlow. Many of us had hoped that Marcus Bontempelli (2nd) from the Western Bulldogs, or Christian Petracca (5th) from Melbourne would win, but it wasn't to be. 

On Tuesday I had my fortnightly early chat with my aunt, Jeff Hoolihan, in Torksey Lock, and we covered a wide range of topics including the footy. Jeff was born in Queensland and didn't grow up with Aussie Rules, but her married life in both WA & Victoria prepared her for the obsession most of us have for the game. Afterwards, I had a great catch up with my sister, Leanne, who was also wildly excited about the Pies playing in the GF.

We were amazed to read that Dan Andrews, Premier of Victoria, had announced his retirement that day, effective immediately. When he explained he was exhausted and had achieved as much as he could, we understood his reasoning. We will always be grateful to him for looking after us as best he could during COVID, for removing level-crossings all over the State, and for being a wonderful Minister for Health. 

That afternoon, we had our 6th COVID jab - it is so easy these days - we can still remember the incredible security around the first couple of jabs - this time we weren't even told which vaccine we were receiving! Neither of us had a reaction, and we both feel much better for being freshly inoculated.

Judi & I played Mah Jong on Wednesday, and heard from Kelly that she had finally sold Muffins & More and would be staying on for a fortnight to help the new owners. The staff are also remaining, so it should be as welcoming as always, although we will have to check if the new owner is OK about Mah Jong being played in her café.

Our new HP laptop arrived safely and Wes spent some hours getting it going for us both. Much of this Dispatch has been written on it, and we are both delighted. It is very clear, easy to manage, and quick to respond. 

On Friday, Wes and Morse drove me to Citadines on Bourke, an apartment hotel I had not used before. As I was early, I asked if I could store my suitcase until 2pm check-in, and when I returned the receptionist called me Karen, which was most impressive. I am thrilled with my mini-apartment - kitchenette, lovely shower, plenty of storage and a comfortable lounge and bed. I met Danny Millman & his friend, Kim, at Westlake, for a yum cha lunch and it was wonderful. It definitely helped that Kim spoke Cantonese, and we were well looked after. Melbourne was full of supporters of both teams who had been to the Grand Final Parade in the morning. 




My Collingwood pillow & scarves served as decoration!

Yesterday was unforgettable - I started early queuing in the 50-year Members line and was successful in getting a great seat on Level 2. On my way back to my hotel, I stopped at Hotel Windsor for breakfast, which was being served in the ballroom. I had a rest at my hotel, before going back to the MCG, and then onto Punt Road where the Collingwood AFLW team were playing Essendon. I lasted until half-time, and was very proud of the girls who coped better with the swirly windy conditions and eventually won.


Hotel Windsor Ballroom 

While I was waiting for the Grand Final entertainment to begin, I caught up with Gayle Gibson, who was happily ensconced in the Long Room, with Peter Mitchell, who was on Level 3 catching up with friends, and with Lyndell Jenkin, long-time Daylesford friend, who was here supporting her partner, A J, who is a Collingwood fan.

The Kiss Show was quite spectacular, and they had educated themselves about Australian Rules, which was good. They were a little after my time, so I didn't appreciate their music, but plenty around me did. 

The Kiss Extravaganza

The Grand Final itself was a stunning match - there were highlights galore, the lead changed frequently, and Collingwood won by 4 points. I am looking forward to seeing the replay and soaking up the atmosphere once again. Thanks to everyone who sent messages - I was overwhelmed and very grateful for them all. Afterwards I caught up with David & Dan Lazzaro, and David's friend, Matt, where we debriefed, before they went off to have a drink, and I walked back to my hotel for a low-key dinner of a sandwich & a glass of bubbles. There is a bottle of Vintage Veuve in the fridge for a more serious celebration this week. Thanks Gayle!


2023 Premiers!

No comments:

Post a Comment