Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 14 May 2023

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 14th May 2023

Poor Charlie Brown

When I left you last Sunday, I was excited by the prospect of going to see my first Collingwood game live for the year. Wes & Morse drove me to Ballan Station, and in spite of all my preparations, I managed to leave my mobile in the car. Fortunately, local friend, Liz Smith, was in the Waiting Room, and gave me her phone so I could ring Wes and get him to return with my phone. After that, I went to the front of the train and sat in the Quiet Carriage until my heart stopped thumping! Meanwhile Wes & Morse delivered seaside daisies to Rob & Dene's home in Ballan and were both very sorry not to see them in person. 

Everything else went smoothly - my mate, Danny Millman, was waiting outside the MCC entrance, chatting to dear friend, David Lazzaro and all three of us enjoyed a catch up, before Danny & I went into the ground in search of a late lunch. We queued up outside the Hugh Trumble CafĂ©, and quickly got a table for 2, where we enjoyed the biggest plates of chips (with fish) you could wish to see. 
Lovely photo of Mate about to tuck in

We were joined by Gayle Gibson after a few minutes - the first time either of us had seen her since her husband, Fraser, died, back in March. She had Fraser's tartan bowtie as a gift for Wes and he was very touched when I gave it to him that night.

The footy was incredible in front of the highest crowd (71,000+) to see Collingwood & Sydney play at the MCG since the 1936 Grand Final, when the Swans were South Melbourne. Both teams were inaccurate with the pressure, but we managed to play our best footy in the last quarter & win by 5 goals. Wes picked me up from Woodend Station and we watched game highlights over a glass of red before heading to bed. 

I had suggested that School on Monday could be watching the last quarter, but Wes came up with a better solution. One of his American Zoom friends, Barry Hansen, had responded to my mention of the playwright, Alan Bennett, in last week's Dispatch, and told of seeing him, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore & Jonathan Miller in Beyond the Fringe at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival in the 60s. Wes found a YouTube clip of their last performance of that satirical revue in London's West End and we watched that instead. If you are interested, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPCm6pRCSmQ (or Google 'Beyond the Fringe' and choose your version). 

Afterwards, I had a lovely massage with Sarah, who had to work hard to remove all the stress from my neck after the great mobile phone disaster of the day before! I rested in the afternoon while Wes had Zoom chats with Barbara Simpson & old Daylesford friend, James Walker, and left a message for Gayle expressing his delight at being given Fraser's tartan bowtie.

It was my time to chat on Tuesday and I started early at 6.15am, spending an hour listening to my aunt, Jeff, tell me everything about her recent indulgent & wonderful trip to London courtesy of my brother, Peter, and his wife, Anka. I think she could have chatted for another hour and perhaps we'll do that next fortnight. I then caught up with Leanne, who was keen to debrief on the footy and pleased I had been there in person. Finally, I enjoyed a great catch up with Jan Pengilley, who is about to head off overseas with her family for a special holiday. We ran out of time sharing our news & stories. 
This beautiful maple at our front door is usually the last tree to turn in Autumn - thanks again to Denise Robinson for the gift

By the time I had visited Glen next door with a chai latte and shown her how to sew up knitting from the front of the seam instead of the back, I was ready to come home and relax. It was raining gently and that was a good excuse to sit inside with a pot of tea and The Age. 

On Wednesday, I took Morse out with me to do deliveries and we had quite an exciting time - we came across a grey kangaroo & joey on the Old Ballarat Road; had to avoid a huge delivery truck in the driveway of Spring Park Nursery; got in the way of two graders in Woolnough's Road, Porcupine Ridge, and just as we thought it was safe to drive home, found ourselves held up by a red light for 3 minutes while work was being done outside Daylesford Cemetery. 

While Wes vacuumed and washed all the floors, I enjoyed a fun morning with Judi playing Mah Jong at Muffins & More. I won the first game very quickly, but she was triumphant in the next three. I came home to a clean house and had another quiet afternoon, still recovering from my big trip to the MCG.

Some of my recent crop of beanies that went to the Daylesford Op Shop & are hopefully keeping heads warm now

Early on Thursday, Wes chatted with his Overseas Friends, although they were disappointed not to be able to include Bala in India as the line wasn't available. Wes then spent a very busy morning in the garden, as it was a perfect Autumnal day.

After a fun chat with Old Friends, Kathy & Joyce, on Thursday morning, I headed to Hepburn for a manicure with Juls. We enjoyed a good hour or so, chatting all the time and talking about her sister's upcoming wedding in Perth this week, where Juls will be the witness. She has never been to WA and was very excited about the trip.  

On Friday, I had a good catch up with my sister, Leanne, before visiting Glen with roses and a chai latte. There were workmen everywhere as her ramp is being completed and her bathroom fixed so that she can use it more easily. I did some shopping for Leanne and for Glen and came home to rest for the remainder of the day. 
Opening night of the Cloc production of "Catch Me if You Can" at the National Theatre, St Kilda - beautiful photo of Louisa Mitchell (daughter of old friends, Pam & Pete) & Rob Griffin (friend & ex-neighbour)

Yesterday was yet another gorgeous Autumnal day with oodles of sunshine, which meant that Morse dried quickly after his bath & bone burial. I washed all his bedding, but he wasn't happy until everything was back in place & he could choose where to snooze. We had hoped to get to the local footy, but I was devoid of energy and with a visit to Leanne happening this morning, we decided a day of rest was the best preparation.

Last night the Blues played a close match with the Doggies, but were unable to hold them off in the final quarter and lost by 20 points. Wes was very disappointed with his team. Late this afternoon Collingwood plays Greater Western Sydney at the MCG and I have my fingers crossed that we can record another win, but it won't be easy.
Morse taking possession of Wes's recliner

No comments:

Post a Comment