Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 4 September 2016

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 4th September 2016



Dear Friends, it has been quite a week since I gaily wrote up last Sunday’s Dispatch and restarted the computer to send it off. That was the end of the computer for some reason. Happily, I had put the Dispatch up on my Blog, http://karenmaloney5.blogspot.com.au/, which saved all the work, but everything else was lost.

I went off to the Market while Wes tried to sort it out with our Tech Experts, and when I got home, he had decided he would give breakfast a miss and see if he could get anywhere. When I arrived back, the experts were asking for us to back up everything on an external hard drive, which my computer lacks. So we had to wait until Monday when we could visit Bi-Rite at Mitre 10 and pick one up.

At lunchtime, we headed off to the MCG to see Collingwood play Hawthorn and arrived in time for a drink at the outside bar where we had taken the Murrin family three weeks ago. Amazingly the game was totally engrossing and the Magpies only lost it in the last 30 seconds. The atmosphere was electric, like a Finals game, and we were both so pleased that we were there to experience it.


On Monday, after an early walk, we visited Mitre 10, where Tim sold us a hard drive and back home we went to spend the rest of the day in front of our computers. Sadly, the back- up didn’t work on the hard drive, so all my files and folders were wiped out.

While Wes went off to show the film, Central Intelligence, (but nobody turned up, so he, Malcolm, Angie & Ethan had a wasted morning), I drove happily to Ballarat Mazda as it was time for our little Mazda 2 to be serviced. I arrived in plenty of time only to be told that Mazda had moved to an industrial estate in Wendouree, and the receptionist very kindly printed out a Google Map, as I am not familiar with Wendouree at all.

I finally found them and was feeling flustered and upset, which no-one seemed to appreciate – ‘but we sent you a text message yesterday’ was the response to my queries. I discovered that there was a courtesy bus, so went into the waiting area, where I promptly muted the wretched breakfast programme that was showing, to the applause of the other occupant. I have since realised I could have changed channels to ABC News 24 – maybe next time!

Karen, the bus driver, dropped us off at Myer in Sturt Street and I did a few chores before heading to Errard Street for my appointment with a naturopath recommended by my podiatrist, Victoria Armstrong. We had just started our session when I noticed she was very distracted and discovered that she had expected a refugee Sudanese family at 9am that morning and they had only just arrived. They had travelled from Mildura with a sick child and had gotten lost. Naturally I gave up my appointment for them and wondered what else could go wrong!

The next thing was a phone call from Mazda to say my car was ready an hour earlier than expected and Karen was on her way to pick me up. She was very helpful in giving me directions on how to get back home without retracing my steps and when I went to pay the bill it was free, except for the new windscreen wiper inserts which I request every service.



That afternoon, we finished the download of all the programme updates from when we bought this computer, which was running Windows 8 at the time. This was another long afternoon, but by the time we went to bed, I had managed to get my toolbars back, my sheep photo on the desktop and Reckon, Skype & e-Wallet working.



The next morning, I spent restoring my Documents & Photos from back-ups and discovered that I had only lost about 10 days of work, mostly because I had forgotten to back up on Saturday when everything worked briefly – my own fault. Then I went for an enjoyable cuppa and catch up with Judi at Muffins & More, while Wes went over the road to work in Barbara’s garden. She had caught a bad cold from one of her carers and spent much of the week resting in bed.

That afternoon was spent recreating my Calendar back from the Google one and reinstating recurring events, which don’t sync very well. Finally, I had to get my printer to talk to the computer again, which involved downloading drivers and umpteen updates, but that issue is now resolved as well.

We had decided to go to Bacchus Marsh on Thursday as part of our exploring days, but changed our minds and visited Avoca instead. First we took Bilbo to see the Blowhole, which is looking spectacular after all our rain, and on our way back, detoured to see if Bryce’s Flat was cut off by running water and sure enough it is. There used to be a very high bridge over the creek, but Council in its wisdom replaced it with a very low concrete slab, so every time we have rain it is impassable by car or foot.


Bilbo & Wes at the Blowhole

We dropped Bilbo back home and drove the scenic route to Avoca, spending a little time in Clunes & Talbot on the way there. We arrived too early for lunch, so decided to visit a winery and chose St Ignatius. We are so pleased we did – Sylvia, who looked after us, and her husband, are from Argentina, and they moved to Melbourne in their early twenties. This winery was their dream and they do everything themselves. We particularly liked their Chablis, Cabernet & 2014 Shiraz, so bought a mixed dozen before heading to the Avoca Hotel for lunch.

This hotel was a very pleasant spot with a good wine list and plenty of interesting wines available by the glass. The dining room menu offered Tuki trout, which I couldn’t resist, and kangaroo, which Wes enjoyed.
We drove back home through Creswick and vowed to go back soon to explore Avoca and its interesting old buildings and wineries further.


That night Wes went to a social evening for Daylesford Cinema volunteers, which was held at Horvat’s Supper Club.

On Friday, we slept in for a change, and I went shopping at Coles too late to be able to take Bilbo on the 9am Bushwalk. So I walked him around Lake Daylesford instead and let him have a swim in the flat shallow area. Wes was able to spend the morning in the garden, much to his delight, and we were back at our computers after lunch – him trying to catch up on all the work he was unable to do while Tech Experts were using our computers, and me trying to download my favourite photo manager – Microsoft Office Picture Manager, which has disappeared with Office 365 2016. I eventually did it, took control of my photos and finally could start on this week’s Dispatch!

Yesterday we had a lovely three-hour lunch at The Surly Goat in Hepburn Springs with friends, Jane Barrett & John Webster & Roger & Val Roberts. Amazingly, three of those four are Poms, who are all delighted to be living in Daylesford. We had plenty to chat about as well as enjoying our beautiful meals. Wes, Roger & I had the snapper, which we couldn’t fault – note the clean plates!


L-R John, Jane, Val, Wes, Karen, Roger

Wes discovered when we arrived home that he had lost his good glasses and went back to retrace his steps, while I turned on the TV to watch Collingwood play Williamstown in the reserves footy, as advertised. Instead Channel 7 was showing Geelong & Essendon, which was a good, high-scoring game, but not what I wanted to see! The Pies won well and are into a Preliminary Final in a fortnight.


This morning there is a message on Facebook that Daryl Raine has found some glasses and as his business, Aqua Viva, is next door to The Surly Goat, we are very optimistic that these glasses belong to Wes. Bilbo & I are off to pump water & stock up at the Sunday Market. The usual breakfast has been cancelled as everyone is busy, but Wes had suggested taking Barbara to the Boathouse instead if she is up to it, so that’s what we will be doing for Daddy’s Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment