Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 11 September 2016

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 11th September 2016


 

Dear Friends, we certainly enjoyed our Father’s Day and spent the afternoon like these three Peanuts characters. Wes felt like breakfast at the Boathouse, so after the Sunday Market, we headed off and Barbara met us there for her first outing all week. We were looked after beautifully by Suzanne & Claire and enjoyed very yummy meals indeed – Wes & Barbara had a breakfast bagel with fried egg, bacon & salad, and I tucked into the mushrooms dish which is my favourite.

After breakfast Wes & I visited the annual Daylesford Primary School Book Fair, where we picked up 22 books, and brought home a jar of raspberry jam, all for about $60! It was too wet underfoot for gardening, so Wes decided to light the fire and read. I sat at the computer reading some lovely emails from friends apropos my computer issues and then added our new books to the book Inventory. The afternoon flew by as we read the weekend papers, did crosswords and had a drink or two.

I had hoped to go to gym early on Monday before driving to Strathmore to see Leanne, but I realised I was putting pressure on myself, so cut out the gym and was preparing to leave when Leanne rang to say she would prefer I came on Friday, which suited me fine. Bilbo & I went for a long walk around the Gardens & Daylesford Railway Station, while Wes spent the morning in our garden. The weather was good enough for me to finally do some transplanting of shiraz beans, which had been sitting in the greenhouse and needed to move to the planter boxes, with stakes.



Wes and Bilbo walked early in the dark on Tuesday, while I caught up with ironing and other house chores. Then off to gym for me and off to the Daylesford Cinema for Wes to show the delightful Irish film, ‘Sing Street’. I joined about 8 others there, and we all enjoyed it, except for the two sitting next to me who thought they came expecting to see ‘Ab Fab’.

After gym on Wednesday I spent time with Judi at Muffins & More, catching up on our week’s news. My good Mah Jong friend, Valerie, has been in hospital and everyone at the café was pleased to hear she was out and staying with her daughter, Alison, in Melbourne, to recuperate. Wes spent the morning helping Barbara, mostly indoors, and came home to cook us a yummy risotto for lunch. We watched and enjoyed a very old ‘Inspector Morse’, which we had not seen before.

I walked Bilbo around the Gardens again on Thursday, while Wes mowed the lawns before the rains came down. He did a great job and everywhere looks very neat & green. The promised rain didn’t arrive until night-time, when it bucketed down. We watched the Bulldogs beat the Eagles over in WA, which was an amazing victory considering they are still without many of their stars.
When we woke on Friday it was to discover that the news on Valerie wasn’t good. The doctors are Box Hill Hospital think she has cancer and that the tumour on her neck is causing her pain. She is being give some strong medication and they may decide to operate.


Meanwhile our friend, Russ Wilkinson, is in rehab at the Queen Elizabeth Centre in Ballarat, which is good news; and Terry White, our good friend, is recovering well from his operation and hopes to be driving again in a week or so.


I drove down to Melbourne to visit Leanne, while Wes & Bilbo stayed warm & dry at home. It was absolutely pouring with rain and there were streams of water at the bottom of our street making it quite difficult to get out. On the way I encountered a fallen tree that covered three of the four lanes of the Woodend road leading to the freeway, but fortunately traffic was light and cars & trucks were able to get around it. By the time I came back the tree had been completely removed.

We watched the first half of the very exciting Geelong & Hawthorn game & caught up with the second half yesterday morning on the replay as we were too tired to last the distance. I had been checking the scores during the night & was amazed to see that Geelong had fought back & won by 2 points, when Isaac Smith missed a set shot for goal after the siren that would have given the Hawks the win.


Bilbo sleeping through the excitement!

We have received 60mls in rain since Thursday night and Lake Daylesford has broken its banks at one particular spot.


Simon Murrin posed for a photo sitting on that soggy bench when they were in Daylesford last month! Thanks to Roger Brailsford for this photo.

Yesterday afternoon we watched Greater Western Sydney outplay the Swans to record a famous win in their first AFL Final. And last night, we were very sad to see North Melbourne bow out of the finals with barely a whimper – not a fitting end for 4 veterans, who have given so much and are being compulsorily retired.
Although it is cold this morning, there is no rain and as I sit looking out into the garden I can see daffodils, an old apple tree in blossom, camellias looking very happy and mist rising over the Lake & the Wombat State Forest.

Bilbo & I are about to visit the Sunday Market before going to breakfast at the Food Gallery. Margot will be back with us after 5 weeks in Queensland – she won’t be enjoying the cold, but will be thrilled to see Bilbo and hopefully, us as well. Then Wes and I are going to see a weekend pop up exhibition of paintings by Jack Green, a friend who died in 2010. We are also hoping to get to the Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens, where the Friends of the Gardens are having a plant sale. 





No comments:

Post a Comment