Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday, 4 October 2026

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 4th October 2026

Joe overusing metaphors 🤣🤣

Last Sunday, I walked to Flinders Street Station from my hotel, immediately caught a train to Southern Cross and was able to board to 9am Bendigo train, which delivered me an hour or so later to Woodend, where Wes & Morse were waiting for me. Morse was very relieved to see me, and Wes confessed that he hadn't created breakfasts the way Morse prefers them, but thought he had gotten dinners right!

We arrived back to a busy Daylesford, with hundreds of cars parked around the Sunday Market. I unpacked, then had a late breakfast of tea & toast, before sitting down with the weekend papers & the GF replay. In the afternoon, the Collingwood AFLW won their first game of the season, with an exciting come from behind win at Victoria Park over GWS.

On Monday, we were back to normal - both of us walked Morse, then we pumped mineral water at Leitches Creek, before Wes & Morse put out the bins for the street, and I headed to Coles for the weekly shop, returning with an apple scroll for me and a coffee scroll for Wes. After breakfast, I went back out to get some stuff at Tonna's and delivered foil packaging to Bloom's the Chemist. 

Meanwhile, Wes grabbed an empty green bin, and filled it with weeds & clippings from the front garden. We are very lucky - there are still some daffodils flowering, as well as hyacinths, and our daphne hasn't died off yet. We're enjoying being able to see into Glen's beautiful garden at the back, especially her weeping cherry, which is in blossom. Morse is delighted with the added exposure and will no doubt let everyone know if there is anyone in her back yard. 


And then everything changed! I woke at 2.30am on Tuesday feeling very unwell, and have been in bed ever since. I suspect the intensive antiobiotics have been to blame, as I have symptoms of bronchial asthma with lots of coughing, nose-blowing & phlegm to cope with. We're hopeful that after the course finishes tomorrow, I might go back to normal.

Wes has been wonderful, as usual. I get up with him each morning, get Morse's breakfast ready & feed the birds. Meanwhile he was been walking Morse, looking after me, and keeping the house clean & tidy. I've not been very hungry - vegemite toast in the mornings & steamed fish at night with a vegetable or two. We've had lots of good rain, which now seems to have finished for a while, and the garden is looking much better for it.

Obviously I have cancelled everything I had planned this week, including chats, Mah Jong & attending David Reilly's 80th yesterday afternoon. Wes went along & enjoyed catching up with lots of friends, some of whom no longer live here in Daylesford, but travelled some distance to be there. He's also chatted with Terry Larkins, and Barbara Simpson, and participated in a Jackson Group session devoted to the three members who have died recently. As well, he participated in the Family Tree Maker User Group, where he often picks up good hints & help.

I found voting for the Best 100 Australian Books last month made me nostalgic for books I had enjoyed many years ago, but not read recently. I have made a start by devouring "A Horseman Riding By" the wonderful trilogy by R F Delderfield about a Devonshire farming community; followed up by "God is an Englishman". I then read "All The Rivers Run" by Nancy Cato, based on the story of the first female riverboat captain in the 1900s. Now I'm crying my way through "My Fortunate Life" by A B Facey, which traces his very tough beginnings & gives an insight into the way children were thought of & treated in the late 1800s-early 1900s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment