We learned last week that another old Daylesford friend, Andrew Brownell, had died 4 years ago. We spent many happy times with Andrew and his partner, Teck, at their beautiful 1864 B&B Holyrood House, which is being fully renovated by the new owners.
We woke on Monday to light rain, so Morse & Wes headed off where they had lots to contend with at Daylesford Cemetery. A B-double had broken down and there were repair crews, and other utes, with dogs, parked outside the fence. Fortunately Morse was able to have a good run and polished off his breakfast on his return. Meanwhile, I had been watched by three beautiful King Parrots as I worked in the kitchen, and rewarded them with cashews, which they love.
Our clothes dryer decided to make a worrying squeaky noise, so I turned it off and dried everything in the laundry cupboard, which as a heating duct in it, and racks to hang things. We had a look at the dryer later in the morning, cleaned the filter, lifted it up and back into position, and were pleased to discover the squeak had disappeared. Sadly that didn't last & we are waiting for Karren from Barclays in Ballarat to come on Wednesday & replace a bearing.
Latest items to be donated to the Salvos
It was a busy morning on Tuesday - Wes & Morse walked very early, and I had three catch up chats. The first was with my aunt, Jeff, in Lincolnshire, and I was delighted to see her looking well and happy in bright yellow. Next was my sister, Leanne, who was also looking good, and hoping to have a coffee in the sun with her support worker, Bec. Finally I caught up with friend, Jan, in Maleny, and we shared our news, which mostly consisted of health issues!
While Wes cleaned my bathroom - washed down walls, scrubbed tiles and polished mirrors, I got cracking with planting punnets of parsley and spinach, and purple bean seeds. I also prepared a tub to take chilis when we can get the seedlings. I feel as though I am on top of the herb pots, but still have about 6 on the decking to refresh.
Judi & I shared honours again on Wednesday at Muffins & More café, where we fitted in quite a few games of Mah Jong. The sun was shining, but the wind was cold, which kept a few people at home I'm sure. Wes vacuumed the floors, but didn't wash them as it would take too long for them to dry.
We had a big day on Thursday. I fitted in a quick WhatsApp chat with Terry Borg in Balwyn, before we drove to Wallington, near Geelong, which is 125kms away. We broke our journey at Ballan, where we dropped in 4 boxes of jars to Rob & Dene. Rob was home and we had time to admire their beautiful garden, which is looking very healthy & happy.
We met our friend, Wendy Owen, at Van Loon's Nursery & Café, in Wallington. This is one of her favourite spots and we could easily see why. The nursery is huge, full of wonderful plants and staffed by very friendly people. We had brunch and chose well from their interesting menu. The food was yummy, service excellent, and best of all, we were provided with serrated-edged knives to cut through our toast! Wendy's husband, Roberto, is in care as she can no longer look after him at home, and she needed to spend time with old friends and talk through some of the many issues facing her daily.
We spent 90 minutes there sitting outside in the sun, and are so pleased we made the trip. Fingers crossed we have helped her navigate some difficulties, and given her confidence to proceed.
Needless to say we were quite tired when we arrived back here and spent some quiet time with Morse, who had been sleeping while we were away.
More daffs & erlicheer at the front door
On Friday we woke to a cool morning, which quickly turned into the best day we've enjoyed in ages, reaching 19℃ in the afternoon. Morse spotted a bunny at the Cemetery and they chased each other very happily. Then I had a Zoom with Leanne, who had enjoyed a good week with her various NDIS supporters, before heading to Pete the podiatrist for my bi-monthly appointment. I came home with a library book, punnets of parsley & coriander, and a new pair of winter weight trousers as I was down to one pair!
In Melbourne, 100,021 packed the MCG to watch the San Francisco 49ers play the Los Angeles Rams, the first time a regular NFL game has been played here. We didn't watch the game, but were pleased that the 49ers, who arrived 8 days before the match and were guests at the MCG the previous Friday, won easily. The Rams arrived less than 48 hours before the start & looked as jet-lagged as they no doubt felt.
Yesterday was another beautiful day after a cool start. We woke to discover Fremantle had defeated Geelong by 14 points in a very high quality game in Perth. This means they progress to a Preliminary Final against Sydney at the SCG on Friday night. Wes & I both worked in the garden, which is looking lovely with all the colour and perfume of bulbs in every nook and cranny.
The afternoon was spent watching AFLW matches and keeping an eye on the scores at the Central Highland Football League Grand Final, where Daylesford won easily over Dunnstown by 47 points. We were so thrilled for the team which included 6 players who had moved up from the Under 18s this year - one of them is Matt Hunt, son of Sarah, and grandson of Glen.
No comments:
Post a Comment