Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday, 9 August 2026

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 9th August 2026

 
Love it!

We had a wonderful Sunday - after the boys walked, we went to the Daylesford Market, where Yvonne & Ken were ready for us & keen to talk. I stole some of Sue Longley's lemons on the way (with her permission of course) and we pumped water at Leitches Creek on the way back. I shared the lemons with neighbour, Glen, who was very happy to have booty delivered to her door. 

Then off to local café, Larder, for chilli scrambled eggs & hot drinks to celebrate Carlton's amazing win of the night before. As we left, a chap wearing a Geelong beanie stopped us to congratulate Wes on Carlton's performance, which was really astonishing - it's a while since they kicked 24 goals, let alone beat Brisbane that easily. 

Very happy Blue Boy

When we arrived home, there were magpies & currawongs waiting for me on the dog decking. One even flew up to the small window in the north wall of our lounge & eyeballed me until I went out with cashews for them all! It's lovely to be so popular.

Wes & Morse walked on Monday - it was dry, but very foggy, which didn't lift until mid-morning. I had a busy time - filled the car with petrol; did the Coles'  supermarket shopping & Baker's Delight. Came home to unpack & demolish our spinach & feta Danish, before heading back into town. First stop was Springs Medical to see if Peter the podiatrist had remembered to leave my new orthotics for me (no, he hadn't); then to the optician to make my annual check-up appointment; to Tonna's for Dutch Cream potatoes, tomatoes on the vine & parsley, and finally to That Bargain Shop to check if the litre glass bottles I had ordered had arrived (another no).

10 years ago this weekend - Leigh Murrin visiting Leanne Saundry

As soon as I came home, Wes went out to wash Snoopy, which was desperately in need of TLC after all the rain we'd had. Magpies were gathered on both deckings, protesting that they hadn't been fed, so I sorted them out, and then sat down with a pot of tea to catch up on The Age. 

No walk again on Tuesday with persistent rain - we both had chores - I wanted to complete the 2026 Census online, and Wes wanted to clean our oven. We did both these things before suddenly the glass door shattered. There are 4 panes of glass, which was quite a lot to clean up. Fortunately no-one was hurt, just shocked. I guess after 22 years, the oven was entitled to feel it had done its duty, but we weren't expecting it to need replacement ever!

Another wet morning on Wednesday turned into a sunny day. While Judi & I played Mah Jong, sharing the wins - Wes did the floors & no doubt found a few more slivers of glass that escaped the first vacuum in the kitchen. 

The next day was dry - at last - and my boys enjoyed a frosty stroll around Daylesford Cemetery. Pete the podiatrist sent me a message to say he had my refurbished orthotics at Springs Medical, so I drove there, had a catch up with Tania Bull, a passionate Collingwood supporter, and receptionist, before Peter was free to fit the new orthotics and take the other old pair away for refurbishment. I can really notice the difference and am walking much more comfortably. 

Beautiful daphne at the front door

Another dry morning on Friday and more sunshine, which we all appreciated. After the early walk, Wes donned his wellies and tackled the pond, which needed cleaning. The frogs don't seem to object - they go very quiet, but the croaking starts up again the minute he finishes the job. 

We've both been busy with catching up with various members of our family and friends - especially Wes. He spoke with Barbara in NZ twice; with Danny in Brisbane; with Denise here in Daylesford; unexpectedly with old school mate, Geoff Underwood in Port Douglas; with Paul Jackson in the UK, and Rod McDonald in Melbourne; with Maureen Dean in Hepburn Springs, and with the Jackson Group world-wide discussing terrorism issues and the concept of happiness. Meanwhile I chatted with my sister, Leanne, in Strathmore, Old Friends in Melbourne, and Jan Pengilley in Maleny. I also keep in touch with lots of other friends during the footy season, when we wish each other well for upcoming matches via WhatsApp or SMS.

Another memory from 2016 - Snoopy, Woodstock & Potter the Panda went to live with Greta & Harry

Yesterday was a red-letter day - Morse spotted his first bunny in weeks, and came home exhausted from the game of chasey. He needed a bath after all that excitement and spent the morning hogging the downstairs heater until he dried off. In the afternoon, Wes & I went to Victoria Park to barrack for the Daylesford Doggies against the Buninyong Bombers. We saw the last quarter of the Under 18s and all of the Reserves match, before squibbing it when the rain started and coming home. We're so pleased we did, as we caught the second half of a stunning match between Melbourne & Freo at the MCG, which saw the Dees pull off an upset win by 4 points. 

As well as being Respect Round, it was Ladies Day at the footy, so we were treated to bubbles and Campari spritz

No comments:

Post a Comment