Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Daylesford Grand Final Dispatch - Sunday, 27th September 2026

 
Still relevant 30 years later!

We found last Sunday too hot for comfort, with the temperature reaching 25℃ in the afternoon. We had to use our air-conditioners for the first time in months, and were very relieved when Monday had a top of 11℃, although the wind was icy. We set off for our usual walk and just as we turned out of Duke Street, the rain started. We kept driving and it kept getting heavier, so we gave Morse a trip around Daylesford and brought him back here for breakfast. He helped Wes put out the bins, and got a bit of a run around the street instead.

I had lots of food shopping to do, as well as pharmacy items, library books to return & collect, and Turkish sea-salt sour dough bread to buy when it was cool enough to be sliced. I had ordered a 4.5mm circular needle to knit the yoke of a Fair Isle jumper that Jane Knox had started and wasn't able to finish. She posted the back, front & a sleeve to me and I had knitted the second sleeve and joined the raglan edges. I had plenty of circular needles, but not one long enough to cope with 240 stitches. Of course, 4.5mm is the most popular size and I had to order it from interstate, which meant it took about 10 days to arrive. 

Meanwhile, Wes needed a new whipper-snipper and went to the local Stihl premises to get some advice. He was successful in getting the advice, but decided $500+ was too much to pay, and found a similar article online for $390. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

We were shocked to read of the death of another Daylesford friend - Brian Smith. He went into hospital for treatment and didn't come out. We have spent some happy times in the past with Brian and his wife, Liz, and were very sorry he has died. He was a lovely man and will be missed.

Great photo of Brian

On Tuesday, after chats with my aunt, Jeff, in Lincolnshire, and my sister, Leanne, in Strathmore, I visited Springs Medical to catch up with our GP, Dr James, and find out what the report from the specialist said after my spirometry test. We were both annoyed to discover that no report had been sent in the month since I was tested. James prescribed another course of antibiotics to clear up the bronchial issues, and was on the phone to Manse Medical as I left his room. 

We were able to walk Morse again on Wednesday morning before I visited Muffins & More to play Mah Jong with Judi. We had a fun time, with honours even at the end. I managed to play a hand I had never tried before - Robin - it is in the book, but without a picture to guide you, and I was quite pleased to master it. 

Meanwhile, Mick, the air-conditioner specialist, visited us to see if he could work out what was causing water to drip from the unit. He tried a couple of things, but no water has been dripping - isn't it always the way! We'll wait until it gets hot and we need to use the unit for a few hours and see what happens.

I cancelled both my usual chats on Thursday morning, as I was still coughing (caused no doubt by the sputum test I did on Tuesday). At 9am I joined other hopeful MCC members in the online queue to purchase reserved seats that had been returned. There were 2,000 ahead of me, and I didn't hold out much hope. However, I was lucky enough to snare a seat in the front row on Level 4, which means I didn't have to queue yesterday morning in the hope of getting a seat.

Morse wondering where I am!

On Friday, after a walk & a chat with Leanne, I packed for my two nights in Melbourne, and was driven by Wes & Morse to Ballan to catch the train. It wasn't packed and I had a most enjoyable trip, which culminated in checking in to Citadines on Bourke, an apartment hotel, which I have been using in the past on Grand Final weekend, as The Windsor is too expensive. The staff are friendly, and the room is clean & well-equipped. It's a slightly longer walk to the ground, which is fine.

Around 5.30pm, I went to Red Emperor in Little Bourke Street, for a very early dinner. I was greeted warmly, given a good table, and enjoyed steamed dumplings, followed by salt & pepper squid with rice, accompanied by a glass of Sangiovese. The couple at the next table had come from Torquay to go to the game, so we chatted while we were eating. 

Beautifully presented yummy meal

Yesterday morning, I met Kathy & Gerard Lazzaro at Dame, in Collins Place, for a yummy breakfast. We enjoyed a good catch up in spite of the rain, and had an excellent view of all the Freo & Brisbane supporters wandering around Melbourne before heading to the ground. 

Meanwhile, back in Daylesford, Wes walked Morse, got some Grand Final provisions and settled in at home to watch the game. He's had a busy week - WhatsApp, Zoom & phone chats with Barbara, Helen & Denise & messages to Wendy, as well as lots of Ancestry work. He's also given the backyard a good haircut, and filled a couple of green bins with weeds & clippings. Our neighbour, Glen, had a large pine tree cut down this week, and we've all got an improved view with extra light since it went. Her garden will appreciate some new natives in its place, and some of our roses & vegetable beds won't know themselves.

Thanks to Glen for this lovely photo of the first ducklings of the season

The Grand Final yesterday was incredible with lots of highlights in front of 100,023. With 4 minutes to go, Freo was ahead by 17 points, but were beaten by Brisbane, who slammed on 4 goals in that time to register an incredible 7 point win. The loss of their Captain, Alex Pearce, with a ruptured achilles didn't help & he will miss much of 2027 as he recovers. Brisbane has now won three premierships in a row, which is an amazing feat. I must confess I felt quite flat after the game, as I thought Freo deserved to win, but they let it slip.
Jubilant Lions players with their amazing coach on the left

No comments:

Post a Comment