Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 31 December 2023

Daylesford New Year's Eve Dispatch - Sunday, 31st December 2023

 

What a lovely Christmas Eve we had - the Daylesford Market was busy and everyone was full of cheer as the rain had held off. Afterwards we took Morse back to Daylesford cemetery for a big run, while we looked unsuccessfully for the Burman graves again. That night we enjoyed a wonderful dinner - oysters, followed by crayfish on rice with baby potatoes & Eton mess to finish up. We drank a bottle of Peter Rumball Sparkling Shiraz, that was a gift from our neighbour, Glen, and watched the storm outside from the warmth and comfort of our lounge. 



We enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Day after the drama of driving to Melbourne in pouring rain, which held us up, especially after there was an accident on the Freeway. We couldn't believe the number of cars driving without their lights on, or with parking lights only, especially those dark coloured cars which are so hard to see when visibility is poor. Leanne was excited to see us and had decorated the table beautifully. We had a simple, but yummy lunch of fresh prawns with salad, followed by Christmas Pudding & brandy butter, which was more than enough. Leanne had been very thoughtful with her gifts, and liked what she received in return. 
Leanne in Christmas mode

Wes dropped me off at the Hotel Windsor, before he drove back home, in better weather, and to a very appreciative Morse. Meanwhile, I checked in, changed my room (a first for me) and settled down for a very quiet night. The Windsor has finally got Foxtel, which was a lovely surprise, and I listened to ABC Classic until I fell asleep. 

The next morning I was having breakfast when my brother, Peter, and his wife, Anka, joined me. We met up later at the MCG for Day 1 of the Boxing Day Test, where I had seats for the three of us in the 50-year member bay. It wasn't scintillating cricket, but the atmosphere is always special and it was good to see old friend, Gayle Gibson, and catch up briefly with Brendan Wilkinson, who lives in Morwell and travels down for the Test each year. We've become friends by sitting next to each other and enjoying the company. Most of the crowd left when heavy rain interrupted play in the afternoon, including me. 

I walked back to the Windsor, got changed and went to Chine on Paramount in Little Bourke Street for an early meal. By the time I got back to my room, I was so tired I fell asleep and slept for 10 hours, which was a blessing, as I woke feeling refreshed and energised. Meanwhile, Wes had been busy in Daylesford - walking Morse, visiting James & Yoko for afternoon tea & meeting their son, Hamish, and watching the cricket in between chores. 

Yummy coconut prawns

The next morning I had an early breakfast and walked back to the G to queue up for a seat, which I easily got in my favourite watching spot - N47 on Level 2. Brendan & I had hoped to sit together, but he was a little later than me and we were a few seats apart, but chatted during lunch and tea breaks. There was no rain interruption, so play went until 6pm. I had a quick dinner at Shark Fin Inn and came home to crash again. 


Salt & pepper squid

Each day of the Test had its highlights and I felt very fortunate to be there seeing it all, especially on Friday evening when the Aussies requested an extra half hour's play and took the remaining wickets to win a Test that had been evenly poised most of the time. 

While I was staying at Hotel Windsor, I invited Kathy, Ged, Karen, Malcolm & Danny to join me for breakfast on Day 3. This has become an annual event and we all look forward to catching up. The concierge was very helpful and took Ged in his wheelchair through a door in the Cricketers' Bar to enable him to get into the dining room. We all enjoyed hearing about our respective Christmas Days and I was sorry when it was time for me to leave for the G to get a good seat undercover in case it rained. 




from the top - Danny & Malcolm, Karen & Ged, Ged & Kathy

Yesterday was my last morning at the Windsor, so I celebrated with baked eggs, which were beautiful and reminded me of the lovely dish Toni used to serve us at The Food Gallery, Daylesford, when the breakfast group got together every Sunday. My usual breakfast is toasted granola with fresh fruit & coconut yoghurt.




After breakfast yesterday, I walked down Bourke Street to see the Myer Christmas windows as they featured the characters from the wonderful ABC Children's Show, Bluey. I wasn't disappointed - the windows were very special and the messages being given were in keeping with the show's blueprint of education by gentle example. Here are two windows:



Then it was time to come back here, pack, and be collected and driven home by Wes and Morse. Not sure which of us was most excited. I was very grateful to have been able to enjoy this time in Melbourne, and most appreciative that Wes was prepared to drive down & back, rather than have to catch the train with a suitcase, small bag & a pillow!

I spent yesterday afternoon changing sheets & towels and doing four big loads of washing, which I got dry before dinner time. Wes cooked a lovely meal of Atlantic salmon for me and pork chop for him with steamed pumpkin, peas & spring onions. It was great to sleep in our bed last night, and this morning I joined Wes and Morse on their early walk for the first time in months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment