Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 23 July 2023

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 23rd July 2023



I don't think Morse would even accept a middleman - he refuses to retrieve anything!

We started our week with a very successful visit to Leanne - lots of serious chatting, as well as some practical help, and we shared croissants for brunch for a very welcome change. I think we all agreed we would do that again. 

On Monday, we continued our work on the attachments to the Executor Dossier, which includes an Inventory of our Artworks and suggested recipients in the event we both die at the same time. We need to update our Wills with our new solicitor's details, and some of our beneficiaries have changed their addresses, and we will update them too. 

After School, I went to Springs Medical to the clinical lab to give blood samples, the final piece of my contribution to the Australian Cancer Council's Breakthrough Study. I have been participating in this for some years, and it involves a questionnaire, samples & blood. I didn't realise four vials would be taken or I would have asked Wes to drive me, as I get light-headed, like many of us, when blood leaves my body! Instead, I sat quietly in the car until I felt able to drive back home and sat here with a pot of tea & The Age for a while to recover. 

It's been another busy week with Zooms - Wes has chatted with Barbara in New Zealand; joined a Family Tree Maker user group; discussed Retirement with the Jackson Group of mostly overseas members, and set up some future Zooms with Old School Friends. I spent time with Jeff in the UK, had a couple of excellent chats with Leanne, and caught up with Old Friends - Karen & Lib.
 
It's been the kind of week where it is best to snuggle up inside with a friend or two 

On Thursday I spent the morning back at Springs Medical, where I had a check-up with Dr Ellie and a follow up with Peter the podiatrist. Both appointments went well, but I needed to make another one, as Ellie suggested I do a skin clinic with Dr James, so I am booked into see him in a fortnight. 

We heard from Kathy Lazzaro that her mother, Iris, had died peacefully this week after suffering a stroke. We have very happy memories of the last time we saw Iris, back in 2017 at her grand-daughter, Jessica's wedding to Eri. Our thoughts are with all her family. 

On Friday morning we went for a family trip to Ballarat - Wes needed whiskey and tuna, and I needed a warm tracksuit, some knitting needles & a pair of warm black pants. He was entirely successful, while I found the tracksuit, but not the pants, and have ended up ordering good knitting needles online, now that my lifetime brand, Aero, has been discontinued!

We arrived home just in time for a delightful and unexpected visit from Fiona & Les Groundwater, who moved here permanently last month from Fremantle. Les hadn't met Morse before, but, like Fiona, he is excellent with dogs, and Morse was in seventh heaven with our visitors. Fiona had brought us lemons from a friend's tree, plus home-made lemon butter, and some dried bay leaves. We have made a date for Les to come and look at all the things that need fixing at our place, as he wants to get work as a handyman and promised us that we would be his first customers.
 
Another handyman is our friend, Rob, seen here helping take down an old pine tree on the Ballan property

Yesterday, both our teams played - Carlton in the afternoon, where they had a comfortable 71-point win against West Coast, with Charlie Curnow kicking 10 goals & all the team contributing. The Collingwood game against Port Adelaide, at the Adelaide Oval, was a different kettle of fish, and we were lucky to escape with a 2-point win after Port led by 17 points at 3/4 time and looked to have our measure. Jamie Elliott was our hero with 3 amazing goals. 

We've slept in this morning after the late night, so Morse is even more keen to get into the car and drive to the Daylesford Market. I suspect it will be a very quiet day for Wes and I after the excitement of yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment