Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Friday 23 September 2022

Daylesford Grand Final Eve Dispatch - Friday, 23rd September 2022

 


Morse feels like Snoopy when we settle down to watch the footy!

It's AFL Grand Final week & everyone enjoys the atmosphere & excitement of it, especially now it is back in Melbourne & many COVID restrictions have been lifted. I have booked into a hotel for tonight & tomorrow & am hoping to get to the AFLW game between Collingwood & Essendon this afternoon. Because I won't be back in Daylesford until Sunday afternoon, I thought I would send this Dispatch early again. 

We've had a fairly quiet week so far - me deliberately so I can cope with my visit to Melbourne, the Grand Final itself & then a visit to Leanne on Sunday. Wes will pick me up from my hotel & we'll go via Strathmore on our way home. 

Last Sunday night was the Brownlow Medal presentation at Crown, and Wes was delighted when Carlton's skipper & best player, Patrick Cripps, won the medal in a tight contest. Much of Paddy's time at the Blues has been when they weren't winning many games & it is wonderful that he is playing his best footy & the team is enjoying some success. 


The Queen's funeral dominated Monday's news & although I haven't seen any live footage, I have enjoyed reading all the articles in The Age each day. After School, which was further work on our Wills & Executor's Instructions, we settled down to a good Zoom chat with Mike & Linda Kirby, who will be visiting us for a couple of days next month. We fine-tuned their itinerary & are really looking forward to catching up with them again. 

On Tuesday, I was very social indeed - after Zooming with my sister, Leanne, I then had my regular chat with Terry Borg (where we ended up discussing the Archibald entries & Iceland), and finished up with a catch up with Jan Pengilley in Maleny, where the rain has stopped & the sun is shining again. In the meantime, Wes gave Morse a bath & then cleaned our cars from top to toe as they were so dirty after our recent heavy rain. 

That afternoon, we had a visit from local friend, Janine Hawker, bearing lemons & home-made lemon butter. She made a wonderful fuss of Morse & he really enjoyed every minute she was there. We miss Janine, as she was a regular at our Sunday Breakfast group, and now we no longer meet, our paths don't cross nearly as often as we would like. 

Just after Janine left, Yoko & her daughter, Miki, arrived at #80 with a carful of belongings to leave in the house. Morse barked madly, so I invited them in to meet him properly & they spoilt him with pats & hugs & kisses, as they are Labrador people & know exactly what to do. Fingers crossed, Morse stops barking next time they pull up in their driveway. 

On Wednesday I had an early appointment with Jake, the exercise physiologist to fine-tune my programme. I had too many questions for a phone call & we spent a very instructive 30 minutes solving all my issues. Jake is a very friendly young man, keen to make sure that his clients are being looked after as best he can. Then off to Muffins & More for Mah Jong with Judi, before I delivered some jumpers & beanies that Di & I had knitted with our latest wonderful wool donations. (Thanks again to Kathy Lazzaro). The Community Op Shop was delighted & assured me that every item would be sold that day. 
My latest child's jumper & matching beanie

Meanwhile Wes spent the morning cleaning our floors & then attended a very successful Hepburn Matters meeting with the Council CEO in attendance.

Yesterday morning I enjoyed chatting with old friends - Kathy, Karen, Lib & Joyce - Lib was very nervous about Geelong's chances, so we tried to find other topics to occupy her & ended up discussing Sydney rain & cockroaches! Afterwards I went for a walk around Lake Daylesford, which I should have done before the Zoom as there were wall-to-wall visitors with kids, dogs, babies & bags all making their way in a leisurely fashion on the paths. Already all the picnic tables had been taken & there was a queue to get into the carpark areas. 

Last night Wes cooked a beautiful whole snapper that he had bought last week when he was in Melbourne. We're both thrilled that there is another one in the freezer, as it really was an outstanding, sweet fish, cooked perfectly. When we lived in Brunswick & shopped at the Queen Victoria Market, we used to enjoy whole fish much more often than we do now. 
Morse enjoying his idea of bliss - a dried pork bone

No comments:

Post a Comment