Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 3 July 2022

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 3rd July 2022

Another priceless Snoopy cartoon!

Last Sunday was a real Brigadoon morning with light rain. We had fun at the Market collecting our fruit & vegetables & Morse was very well behaved yet again. Wes cooked me scrambled eggs for breakfast & we both settled down to do some work - Ancestry on his desktop for him, and stewing apples & pears & polishing furniture for me, until it was time to sit down & watch the day's games of footy. Collingwood played GWS at the MCG on a cold, wet afternoon & just managed to hold off the fast-finishing Giants in an exciting match. 
Morse sharing in the excitement of the footy

The next couple of days I spent in bed, after early shopping on Monday, as I had no energy & had symptoms of bronchial-asthma. We both did RATs in case Wes had picked up COVID at the footy, but the results were clear. The highlight of that Monday was an excellent interview that Wes gave Steve Martin on ABC Ballarat about Hepburn Matters & why saving The Rex was important to Daylesford. 

As usual, when I am unwell, Wes was wonderful, walking Morse, feeding me, the birds & Morse & helping me to cancel activities that I had planned for the week. Fortunately it was a fairly quiet one, and I postponed my Zoom chats & cancelled exercise classes & Mah Jong. 

On Wednesday I got up & dressed & we did some of my chores together - visited David & Annie's grave to refresh the pot of rosemary; pumped mineral water at Leitches Creek; delivered my & Di's knitting to the Daylesford Community Op Shop, and bought blueberry scones for afternoon tea, by which time I was back in bed! 

Ditto Thursday & I was able to Zoom with Kathy Lazzaro in Burwood, before visiting the Post Office, the pharmacy & Magic Pudding to replace Wes's coffee plunger which I had broken. Before returning to bed I made a batch of cauliflower soup, which is perfect for lunch on these cold days. 

Meanwhile, Wes has been busy in the backyard, clearing up the branches from the oak trees next door, sweeping, tidying up all our pots & making room under the house for all the gardening stuff that Rob & Dene couldn't take to their rental unit in St Kilda East. 

I keep forgetting to record the delightful habit that Morse has adopted since Lewis died. After he has been put to bed with a treat and we are both in bed, he wanders into our bedroom & checks that we are safely in our beds. He visits Wes first, nuzzles his hand, wags his tail & then walks around the bed & does the same to me. It is very cute & lovable. If he should wake with a fright in the night, or need reassurance, he reprises this act & happily trots back to bed when told to do so. 

Wes took Morse with him on Thursday afternoon on a trip looking for new fishing sites. They found themselves at Malmsbury and discovered a couple of good spots, but didn't have time to sit & fish. Malmsbury has a beautiful viaduct, site of a famous picnic with Ian & Robyn Robinson many years ago. Robyn had bought beautiful sandwiches from the bakery & made the mistake of putting them on our picnic table right under Casper's eyes. He promptly snaffled one & had to be restrained from gobbling down the rest!

Well-upholstered 8 year-old Casper keeping an eye out for anything coming his way in 2000 - early days living in Daylesford

On Friday morning, we delivered 10 boxes of books to the Daylesford Primary School for their Annual Book Fair later this year. As it is School Holidays, we were able to park at the front door for easy delivery. I managed to stay up all day, but retreated to bed after dinner, leaving Wes to watch Carlton & St Kilda play. Sadly for the Blues supporters, Carlton was outplayed & outcoached & lost a close game they had hoped to win by 15 points. 

Yesterday I spent washing dog bedding & towels after Wes had bathed Morse. It was quite cold outside, but Wes persevered with cleaning up in our backyard & he is nearly finished chopping & clearing the small branches of oak left after the recent pruning of next door's trees. The new owners of #80 Duke Street visited in the afternoon, but we didn't see them to say hello. Apparently they won't be moving in for a while, so I wanted to let them know that we would be happy to keep an eye on the house for them.

 Rob sent me this photo as he & Dene celebrated settlement on #80 with glasses of champagne

Last night, Collingwood unexpectedly beat Gold Coast by 5 points in the last 10 minutes of the game up there. I thought it was a danger match for us and nearly went to bed early. I was so tired when it was over that I forgot to make up Morse's bed & this morning forgot to give him his yoghurt with breakfast. I won't be trusting myself with anything too important today!

No comments:

Post a Comment