Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 17 April 2022

Daylesford Easter Dispatch - Sunday, 17th April 2022

 

This cartoon is worth it for the look on Lucy's face!

We've enjoyed this week leading up to Easter, although town has been busy with all the visitors who pour into our Shire over these holidays. Even our little piece of Duke Street has been laden with cars - all good for the economy of the Shire!

I was so tired after my trip to Melbourne to see live footy that I took it very quietly last Sunday - went to the Market and that was about it. Spent the rest of the day watching other footy games and Wes was disgusted when Carlton reverted to their previous style of footy & couldn't beat the Gold Coast Suns. When we chatted to the Kirbys the next morning, they were elated as both Essendon & Gold Coast had won.

We had each applied for a Travel grant from the Victorian Government & Wes was successful, so decided we would have a short 'dog holiday' & introduce Lewis & Morse to the beach. We have booked a house in Inverloch, not an area we know well, but it is close to a dog beach & there are plenty of walks that we can enjoy together. We're doing this next month from 16th to 20th May & are quite excited. The most fun will be packing the four of us, dog bedding & our clothes into our little Mazda 2, Sammy

That afternoon I had my fifth massage with Sarah Hunt & we both agreed that she had gotten me back to how I should be. I am very impressed with her skills & enjoy spending the hour with her every four weeks. I will continue with regular remedial massage & hope not to get into pain with my neck (or anywhere else) again. 

On Tuesday I had an early Messenger chat with my aunt, Jeff, in Torkey Lock, Lincolnshire. Now that there are only 9 hours difference, I am happy to forgo a walk with my boys to talk to her, as she is still awake & alert at 9pm her time. After that I chatted with Leanne & we made plans to visit her on Good Friday after she wasn't well enough for us to see her last Sunday, which was our usual day. 

The next day was Mah Jong where Judi proceeded to win games with gay abandon, in spite of promising to play 'difficult' games & give Dot & me a chance. We enjoyed a fun morning as usual and I was pleased to come home & relax as I'd been on the road since 8am doing deliveries, visiting the Daylesford cemetery & then having a fringe trim with Lyndal.

That afternoon Wes set off for Newlyn for an afternoon of fishing, while the boys & I took it easy & waited for his return. He really enjoyed it & you can see by the photo that it was the perfect afternoon. All he needs now is to catch that brace.


Wes led the discussion with his overseas friends early on Thursday morning and they grappled with the concept of historical thought pieces - e.g. Would you have joined the barricades? After I chatted on Zoom with old friends, Kathy & Karen, I headed to The Convent for brunch at Bad Habits Café with our neighbour, Glen. We hadn't spent time together for ages & it was lovely to sit & catch up, although the Café was as busy as I have ever seen it & we were pleased we had gone at opening time of 10am. 

This is Glen's beautiful view from her back balcony

That afternoon, I realised I had done too much yet again & went back to bed, coughing & asthmatic & with absolutely no energy. When I fell asleep before half-time, the Pies were being beaten by Brisbane, so I was delighted to read when I woke that we rallied & only lost by 7 points. 

Wes was very good & understanding & went to visit Leanne on Good Friday on his own, armed with roses, Hot Cross buns, jam & our toaster. Leanne was thrilled to have his company & input, as she has been down in the dumps with not feeling well physically.

Yesterday I had an appointment with Dr Ellie, to get the second lot of blood test results & Wes came with me in case there was a serious issue that needed tackling. The good news is that there was no abnormality with my second test & I am as well as I can be. Except that I'm not - next step is a lung function test in Ballarat when I can get an appointment, but Ellie agreed that being asthmatic & coughing would exacerbate my chronic fatigue, so she gave me a prescription for prednisolone, a corticosteroid that decreases your immune system's response. Fingers crossed that works & if not, the lung function test might hold the answer. 

Lewis & Morse at night with fluorescent collars 🤣🤣

Meanwhile, Wes has been involved with public & private meetings to solve the issue of The Rex, a building that was going to house the Council officers, the library, a cafe & a cinema. Work has stopped as it was going too far over budget & now Council, against the wishes of the ratepayers (we need a ratepayers' association here) has abandoned their plans & left the future up in the air. 

He has also been looking after the garden, watering, mowing & weeding, as well as moving plants from pots into the ground & making space for three more roses - in the front, where the tomatoes were a spectacular failure this year! As well, he keeps up his twice weekly chats with Barbara Simpson in NZ & is fielding calls about the upcoming Federal Election on Saturday, 21st May, as well as the local issue of The Rex

Today, after the Sunday Market, he is driving to Ballan to catch the train to the MCG for the Carlton vs Port Adelaide match@ 1.40pm. As a 'new' member of Carlton, he has been invited to a function before the game, where he will listen to a speech, be able to buy food & perhaps get a free drink voucher, and, if he is really lucky, snaffle a seat on the second level, instead of taking potluck in the 'Carlton section', where no seat is guaranteed. Fingers & toes crossed that the Blues bring their A game to the match!

No comments:

Post a Comment