Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 13 September 2020

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 13th September 2020

We started last Sunday with Wes walking the boys, followed by our trip to the Market. We arrived at 8am & there were already short queues for Yvonne. She noticed our Labrador masks & was most amused. While I stocked up on our usual fruit, vegetables for us & the dogs, Wes bought some potato bread, croissants & eggs. 

We came home to have a quiet breakfast as we always feel we have been on the go on Sundays - 5.30am we get up & it's usually about 9am before we relax for the first time. 






Last week I forgot to mention our teams' performances - that's because they were forgettable. We had better luck barracking for the Saints & Doggies on Sunday afternoon in a couple of close games. 

We had to cancel School on Monday morning as I had a dental check up in Ballarat. Wes came with me, which was lovely and visited Officeworks while I had my appointment. I received a glowing report from my dentist, which is always good news. By the time we got back home again, we felt we had been to Melbourne & back. It must be quite a few weeks since we have driven that far. 

Striped beanies have been occupying me over the past couple of weeks - you can tell I was running out of plain colours!

On Tuesday, I had quite a social morning on Zoom & Wes took advantage of the opportunity to vaccum everywhere & wash the floors. This nearly drove Lewis & Morse crazy as they want to be where he is most of the time and he had shut the dog door so they couldn't get to him. They pestered Glen next door instead as she tried to go for a stroll around her garden. I had lovely long chats with Jeff in Lincolnshire, Leanne in Strathmore, Terry in Burwood & finally Judi, here in Daylesford, before I ran out of voice.

Wes gave up on the Blues in disgust when they couldn't kick a goal in the first quarter & a half against the Swans & couldn't believe that Carlton had won when we woke the next morning. Suddenly finals were on the agenda again, the birds were singing, and he cheerfully replanted a camellia that the boys had inadvertently uprooted! Meanwhile I did my usual Wednesday chores, before having a delightful Zoom chat with local friend, Janine; spent some time teaching Judi how to set up a Zoom meeting, and then hosted an enjoyable catch up with long-time friends, Kathy, Karen & Joyce. 


Lewis & Morse zedding while they wait for dinner - it's hard to work out which body part belongs to which dog!

Wes also had a big dental appointment which involved a filling & an extraction. He came home to watch the replay of the Carlton game before agreeing to lie down & recover. His next appointment is a check up in 6 months' time, which is wonderful. It took about 24 hours for him to feel back to normal, so the boys missed out on a walk on Thursday morning as I can't manage them on my own, especially if we meet another dog or a stranger!


Gail White, in Katoomba, sent me this photo to show me what she has done with all their Brian Nash birthday cards over the years - she rotates them, and now that they are no longer living in Daylesford, no doubt, they bring back good memories

Thursday was quite social for me - did the Coles shopping in an almost empty store at 7.15am & chatted footy with the staff members; finally met our new neighbour, Ellie, when I was picking daffodils in our front garden; caught up with Fiona's news; spoke with my sister, Paun, and sister-in-law, Anka, to let them know we had decided we would not be travelling to Melbourne for Christmas, and that I had chatted to Leanne about this & she was fine. I have also decided not to go to the Boxing Day Test, in the unlikely event it is held at the MCG, as I am not ready to leave our COVID-free bubble of Daylesford and travel into Greater Melbourne yet. It is only 15 weeks to Christmas and I can't see that life will be back to normal by then.

We took the boys for a long walk on Friday - two circuits of Lake Daylesford - which wore them out - before Wes headed into the back garden to do some weeding, planting & planning. After I had lovely Zoom chats with Leanne, and with Dot, I joined him as we rejigged the greenhouse, organised some more annuals into hanging baskets & moved the upstairs planters to allow baby spinach to join them. Our snow peas are prolific in the greenhouse & we will have our first taste for dinner tonight. 


This wonderful selection of wool from Kathy Lazzaro was waiting for me at the Post office - perfect timing & much appreciated

We decided to have fish and chips as our takeaway meal on Friday night, along with every other diner in Daylesford. Wes had a 70 minute wait, but it was worth it! We'll try another weeknight next time. Lewis & Morse enjoyed leftover chips the next night & couldn't wait for them to come out of the microwave.

Yesterday, we were expecting 20mms rain, which didn't eventuate. We were able to do our normal Lake Daylesford walk, but Wes decided not to wash Lewis & Morse as he usually does on a Saturday in case the rain bucketed down. It didn't, but they were pleased to have their bones & play before settling down for a serious sleep before dinner. We both listened to the Coodabeen Champions, who were very entertaining, before I started knitting and watching footy, and Wes spent some time in the study on his computer. We were both very sad to read of the death of Kelly Fookes, who, with her husband, Rob, ran a little cafe in Vincent Street for a short time. We really enjoyed their company & Kelly was far too young to have left us.



No comments:

Post a Comment