Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 13 October 2019

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 13th October 2019


We’ve enjoyed another social week – must be something to do with improved weather, although Tuesday’s wind was very cold indeed & everyone I saw was back into Winter coats & scarves, including me. There were 9 of us on at breakfast on Sunday morning, which made for some good conversations. We are being joined by John & Jan Smith today, which will be lovely as it is ages since we have seen them. Pasquale & Toni at The Food Gallery will be thrilled as well.

My blast from the past photo last week generated quite a few comments, especially as I had omitted to say where we were. That was because I didn’t know, but after some work by others & a look for more photos on that date, we discovered it was taken at Curly Joe’s, which was our home away from home in Sydney Road, Brunswick, for many years.


Here is a photo from Hoong Lau in 1998. From left – Malcolm Stevenson, Wes, Tom Tyrrell, Karen, Robyn Robinson (standing) Fraser Gibson, Karen Stevenson, Ian Robinson & Gayle Gibson

I had brunch with Jane Barrett at Harvest Café, which was a vast improvement on the last time I had been there, probably 2 years ago. We enjoyed yummy meals and my tea was Jasmine pearls, which is very special. Jane & her husband, John, are not long home from a very successful trip based around catching up with some of his classmates from 40 years ago in Manchester. He spent a day at the Test there as well, and they had time in Liverpool & Wales, before they headed to Paris & Normandy, returning home via Singapore. Jane puts up lovely photos on FB & it was good to hear her talk about the story behind them all.



I hope you enjoy Sally as much as I do – poor Charlie Brown, he doesn’t have a clue how to reply!

We had a small drama on Wednesday morning when we arrived back home from our early walk only to discover Lewis was no longer wearing his black collar. Wes went straight back to the carpark at Lake Daylesford but there was no sign of it. I was just about to ring Judi & ask her to keep an eye out when she & her friends walked around the Lake, but before I did, I went outside to look & found it at the bottom of the stairs. Lewis had obviously lost it sometime during the night & neither of us had noticed when we put the lead on to go walking! We were very relieved as replacing tags can be an expensive & inconvenient business.



Beautiful daphne from our own small bush courtesy of Nick Massaro

Dot couldn’t join Judi & me for Mah Jong this week. However, Judi did really well & she now has 8 different games at her fingertips. She even changed hands mid-stream & won, which I am sure gave her heaps of confidence. We are so lucky to be able to sit & play at Muffins & More on a Wednesday morning for the price of a pot of tea & a muffin.

I also spent some time with my sister, Leanne, in Strathmore, while Wes looked after Lewis & Morse, which is always a challenge on your own. They keep looking for whoever is missing. I came home with a pumpkin quiche from Gusto, a yummy bakery in Napier Street, Strathmore. By the time Wes was serving it for dinner, I was in bed, exhausted. This hasn’t happened for some time, I am pleased to say, and after a good night’s sleep, I was back on top of things.

Gail White & I caught up for a late breakfast at The Food Gallery as well. We first met many moons ago when her husband, Terry, was still in Sydney, at Aperitifs in Porcupine Ridge. I invited her to join the Breakfast Group, which was meeting at the Black Cauldron at that time. She came & enjoyed it enough to continue getting up early & joining us all.



Beautiful painting of Spring Flowers in his backyard by Brian Nash

Wes, Brian Nash, Jeff Bain, Danny Moynihan & Jan Pengilley had fun at a Boys’ Afternoon at David Hall’s place, where they saw the 1949 version of The Third Man, starring Joseph Cotton, Orson Welles & Trevor Howard. Jan was an honorary bloke for the afternoon (representing her dear husband, Warren AKA Secundus, who died last December), and had well & truly gone home when I arrived to pick up Wes & Brian, who were very chirpy after nearly 5 hours together.
  
We had another not entirely successful day of punting on the Caulfield Guineas yesterday. We were looking for quinellas & kept getting first & third or second & nothing. However, we picked up a win with the last race, which means we were only down $10 for the day & have funds for the Caulfield Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment