Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 4 August 2019

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 4th August 2019


Once again, we started our week with yummy breakfasts and great chats at The Food Gallery. Wes & Barbara were delighted after Carlton’s good win over Adelaide the day before, Jan Pengilley was ragged for being caught reading the Herald Sun newspaper, Janine was quizzed about her family, Judi told us about her fun visit to Melbourne & everyone sympathised with me after Collingwood’s insipid effort on Friday night.





Top -  Jan & Wes ; Below - Barbara & Janine at The Food Gallery

I was exhausted after a very busy couple of days, so was pleased to come back home & read the weekend papers, watch the afternoon’s footy games & sew up a couple of small jumpers I had been knitting for Keeping Daylesford Warm. After breakfast with friends the day before, I had driven to Strathmore to spend time with Leanne. We were able to get quite a bit done before I left her and arrived back here in time to support Wes who was watching the Carlton game.
On Monday, Wes walked the boys & I did early gym before he got cracking in the garden & I caught up on paperwork, paid bills & started looking at the coffee table sized books in our library. Last week I had finally finished our fiction section and we have fewer books to the tune of 15 boxes.



The games we play with our pets!

That afternoon, while Wes was busy writing up the Maloney stories, I walked around Lake Daylesford. I hadn’t walked there in daylight since the geese & ducks were relocated & it was incredibly quiet. There are still plenty of small brown ducks, and I spotted 2 white ducks, but all the characters have been removed.

After our early walk on Tuesday, we had breakfast at Cliffy’s, where the food & service is always good & Wes can indulge in porridge, while I usually have an omelette. We bought a camellia, which Wes then planted. He spent the rest of the morning cleaning up in the backyard, which is a constant battle. Just as everywhere looks good, the rain comes down, the boys play chasey and we have a mudheap again!

After our early walk on Wednesday, Wes headed off to help Barbara with a big shop at Coles and anything else she needed. I had a busy morning starting with a manicure with Alanna in Hepburn Springs, back to Daylesford for a fringe trim & finally a pot of tea with Dot & Judi at Muffins & More, where we gave Judi a lesson on how to play Mah Jong to see if she would enjoy it. And she did – wiped the floor with us, winning 3 games out of the 5 we played!

Janine & I had a long overdue catch up with lunch at Chaplin’s in Trentham on Thursday. Mel gave us both a very warm welcome, her cafĂ© was jumping with every table in use & live entertainment over the lunch time. Afterwards, we went for a walk along the High Street, and agonised over the shops that are closing down, those that had no-one in them & were relieved to find the odd busy one.

After early gym on Friday, I spent the rest of the morning on our library, with occasional breaks for pots of tea & the Age crossword. I had been given enough wool to knit three small jumpers & delivered them with some beanies to Hepburn Health to be collected by Jodie from Keeping Daylesford Warm.

  

Wes had taped the film, Ladies in Black, for me, as I missed it in the cinema last year. It was a delightful Australian film, set in Sydney in 1959 in the department store, Goode’s. I was amused to discover that the Sydney/Melbourne rivalry was fit & well as there were constant references to the fact that no-one would think of going to Melbourne, even though the Paris End of Collins Street was alive with select boutiques & Georges department store then.

Yesterday was quite cold, so we lit the fire & enjoyed a relaxing day listening to the Coodabeen Champions, reading papers, watching footy & cricket, with a bit of puppy cuddling thrown in. I made a big pot of my vegetarian minestrone, and we enjoyed it for lunch & dinner.



Different sleeping styles of Morse (top) & Lewis

It’s a cold morning again with light rain. We’ve walked around the Lake & now we are about to head off to the Sunday Market. Then we are meeting Barbara, Judi, Janine & Jan for breakfast, before I head off to the MCG to see if Collingwood can beat Gold Coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment