Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 23 June 2019

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 23rd June 2019

Once again, we had a surprise guest at breakfast last Sunday, when Rhonda Lubin arrived for a coffee & chat. It is always lovely to see her & catch up on her latest news. The Food Gallery was delighted to have 9 of us at the big table at the back, and even though they were still recovering from the very busy Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend, they were smiling & patient & breakfasts were yummy as usual.

I spent the rest of the day sewing up beanies & making pom poms so I could deliver a big bag of goodies to Keeping Daylesford Warm. The match between North Melbourne & GWS in Hobart kept me entertained.


Some of the beanies, mittens & scarf I delivered on Monday

When I went to gym on Monday morning, I discovered that my 8am Wednesday session has been cancelled as most of the participants are away either overseas or further North seeking warmer weather. I may end up going to the 7.40am class on Fridays instead.

I also had two more boxes of books to give to the Daylesford Primary School and found the nine boxes we had already donated were still sitting on the table where I had left them. It was very easy to add to them instead of having to traipse through the school to the gym as Judi did.

David Castles has requested that I correct an error in last week’s Dispatch, where I claimed he hadn’t been to the footy for 30 years – that should have read 57 years & guess what, he enjoyed the game & would love to go again!

As this was a busy week, I went to gym again on Tuesday morning & caught up with lots of old friends there – Ian & Josie, Malcolm & Ruth, Rodney, Robyn & John. I arrived back home in time for a quick change of clothes before we headed back to the Regent Cinema in Ballarat to see the film, Tolkien, which we loved. It was a portrayal of Tolkien’s early years seen through flashbacks when he served at the Somme in WWI. We both found ourselves wanting to read The Hobbit & Lord of The Rings, now we are armed with an insight into Tolkien’s influences.


About to tuck into scones, jam & cream in the Gold Class café before the film

We arrived back to find that our very muddy boys had been sleeping while we were away, and the dirt had dried & fallen off them – Thank God!

Nick came to give me a long overdue massage & I was able to ask his advice about my foot. I thought I had strained a ligament, but he assured me I had bruised the bone, which explained why it was painful & that I should continue resting it as much as possible. I do miss our early morning walks with Lewis & Morse.

On Wednesday Wes went to his first meeting of the Reconciliation Committee at the Council offices. This will be an interesting project for him and promises to provide good outcomes for the Hepburn Shire.  Meanwhile, I had a catch-up cuppa with Judi at Muffins & More, before heading to Hepburn Springs for a manicure & pedicure with Alanna.

Bob White visited in the afternoon on his way back to Trentham from Ballarat. He was delighted to meet Lewis & Morse & they gave him a wonderful welcome. So good that we had to put them outside, so we could chat & enjoy our afternoon tea in peace!

Judi had told me about a Crime series on SBS called Trapped, so we found it that night & started watching it. We are entranced. It is set in Iceland & the first episode shows the heavy snow. We visited this amazing country in Spring, and although there was still snow on the peaks, we didn’t encounter anything like the harsh conditions that typify Icelandic Winters. We are spending our time recognising landmarks & roads we drove along, as we spent half our time away from Reykjavik in an isolated area.

Wes spent Thursday morning with Barbara, while I did the shopping at Coles & Tonna’s and had a long overdue haircut. That night was an ALP branch meeting at the Daylesford Hotel, and Wes joined a few other friends in planning for the future.

Friday was very busy indeed. Wes bathed the boys after their walk before packing & setting off to catch up with old friends over lunch in East Melbourne. He picked up Bob White in Trentham and they drove to Danny’s place in Northcote, where Wes stayed overnight.


L-R: Fraser, Tom, Bob, Malcolm, Danny, Bobby, Brendan, Wes, Squiz, Mike & Ged

Back at home I spent the day doing umpteen loads of washing & ironing. All this rain has meant muddy dogs, which means muddy owners & it seemed like the perfect day to stay at home & get everything clean again. The boys were very happy to have my company & coped without their Daddy, although they kept looking for him & were quite sure I had hidden him in our bedroom, which is off limits to them.
Snuggled up under their blankie as we watch the footy on Friday night

Yesterday, we three woke to a cool, but dry morning. I decided not to try and walk Lewis & Morse, as my foot is still not 100% and they were content with an early breakfast, a game of chasey & a big sleep, while I cleaned the bathrooms & kitchen. (Sandra, our cleaner, is in Bali having a well-earned holiday, so we are coping without her for a month).

I was a little surprised that I hadn’t heard from Wes after his lovely catch-up lunch, but his message yesterday morning explained it all. When he, Squiz & Danny arrived back at Danny’s place after lunch, they went two doors’ down to Danny’s friend & neighbour, George, for a dinner party. Just what they needed – more eating & drinking! Wes thinks he got to bed around midnight and woke yesterday needing lots of cold water.

He sobered up enough to have breakfast with Warwick Leeson at Barry, a popular café in Northcote, before driving to Strathmore to spend time with Leanne, who can always do with some help. When he had finished there, he collected Bob White, who had stayed over with his daughter, Natalie, who also lives in Strathmore.

Needless to say, when Wes finally arrived home, he was delighted to find the fire roaring and Lewis & Morse in tail-wagging overdrive. We caught up on all the stories from lunch & dinner, before he retired to bed for a restorative sleep.

This morning we are off to the Sunday Market, all of us in our coats as it is quite cold & frosty outside. Then breakfast with 5-7 others and a quiet day back home with Collingwood playing the Western Bulldogs. I had planned to go to the match, which is at the Docklands, but I feel too tired to cope with the train & the crowds & the closed roof.

  Morse & Lewis enjoying their first ‘real’ bones courtesy of Rob & Dene our next-door neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment