Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Monday 31 December 2018

Daylesford Summer Dispatch - Monday, 31st December 2018


Apologies for being a day late, but it does give me a chance to wish everyone a very Happy New Year. Let’s pray it will be a healthy one for us all. The Sunday before last Wes, Judi, Janine & I all met at Boathouse for our last breakfast together this year. Claire very kindly offered us all bubbles on the house & we exchanged gifts, with Judi winning the award for her lovely selection of beautifully presented goodies.

Monday was spent packing for my 5 nights in Melbourne, which involved washing & ironing my coolest clothes for the trip. That night we had oysters & prawns for dinner. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful seafood supply at the Daylesford fish & chip shop.
Christmas Day was a beautiful morning – we walked around Lake Daylesford where it was my turn to feed the geese & ducks, who were most appreciative.

After early chats with my siblings, we headed off to Strathmore where we were having lunch with Leanne, Peter & Anka. We had promised to arrive early in case there were any last-minute issues, but Leanne had everything under control & we were able to sit down with hot drinks & chat. Peter & Anka arrived shortly afterwards & we had a wonderful time exchanging presents, all of which went over very well.

Anka, Leanne & Peter having fun with blowers & poppers as the pudding arrived at the table.

Me cutting slices of pudding & brandy butter – always a relief when the pudding works out!

Late in the afternoon we left Leanne stacking the dishwasher & headed into Melbourne. Peter & Anka were staying at the Park Hyatt, while we were at Hotel Lindrum, in Flinders Street, about 10 minutes easy walk from the MCG. We were delighted with our room, which had high ceilings, a very comfortable KS bed & a large, well-appointed bathroom.

Apart from having a drink in the bar, we were too tired to do anything more than have an early night.

The next morning, we got up at 6am & headed to Docklands to have a walk followed by breakfast at Mad Duck café, which we had enjoyed a couple of years ago. Even though the website suggested they were open, the café was, in fact, closed for the week, so we found ourselves in Port Melbourne, where we enjoyed yummy breakfasts at 101 Bay Street. Wes dropped me back at the hotel, so I could get my bag packed for the cricket & he drove back home via Strathmore to help Leanne with cleaning up & watering etc.

Our Christmas gift to Peter & Anka’s was seats in the MCC with me on Boxing Day & we had a lovely time together. During lunch I took them on a tour of the 2nd & 3rd levels. We met Loud Gayle on Level 2 & Bob White & his Mexican friend, Angel, on Level 3. They enjoyed being in the MCC, so this may become an annual event!

That night, I headed for my favourite Chinese café, 369 (formerly Yum Cha Café) only to discover it had disappeared & there was a noodle bar in its place, which was most disappointing. So, I headed down Little Bourke Street to find a new favourite spot & started off at Shark Fin House. This was memorable mostly for the rudeness of the waitress & for my invisibility to the manager, who was the only one taking food orders.

The next morning, I walked through the Treasury & Fitzroy Gardens to Square & Compass in Clarendon Street, where I was meeting Kathy & Gerard Lazzaro & Karen & Malcolm Stevenson for breakfast. We had a wonderful time together, and as usual, the time flew by and I had to leave to get in the queue for a good seat in the Balcony (for which I was successful). I spent the lunch break catching up with David Lazzaro & his son, Daniel – always a treat, & watched the last session in the Long Room having a glass of bubbles with Loud Gayle (a most enjoyable time indeed).

Perfect viewing spot behind the sight-screen

That night I tried an old favourite, Westlake, which does great yum cha. They didn’t ignore me but did put me at the side & back of the restaurant & their meals are OK without being memorable.

On Friday morning, I walked back to Square & Compass, once again through the beautiful peaceful gardens, which have so many paths it is possible to walk a different way each morning. This time I met up with Peter & Anka. We were to have been joined by Danny Millman, but he was most unwell – we missed you Mate!

That day I spent sitting next to Brendan, a chap from Traralgon, who stays in Clifton Hill for the duration of the Test. We met some years ago & usually look out for each other – not only do we enjoy the cricket, but we are both Collingwood supporters & as Paul Jackson learnt earlier this year, we have plenty of talk about when it comes to Aussie Rules footy. After two days of good batting, we were treated to some great bowling by the Indians.

That night I tried Dragon Boat restaurant & enjoyed a lovely meal & very good service. This used to be a difficult place for single diners (especially females), but it appears to have changed management & has a much better attitude.

The next morning, I met our oldest friend, Tom Tyrrell, (who was my guest for the day) & we started with breakfast at Square & Compass (which serves very yummy, interesting meals) before having a great time together with perfect seats in the back row of the Balcony. We spent lunchtime having drinks with Loud Gayle and saw quite a few wickets & runs, including a stunning unbeaten 60 by Pat Cummins, who held on until stumps.
       

                   Poached eggs with broccolini & avocado

I was quite excited about the fifth day & after checking out of Hotel Lindrum, strolled through the gardens yet again for my final breakfast at Square & Compass. There was a very small queue at the gates & it was easy to get good seats in the back row again. Brendan & I sat together & we were both anticipating a fight when the rain eventually disappeared. Sadly, it was not to be & both Cummins & Lyon looked ill at ease and didn’t last long. The Indians deserved their win & I can’t wait for the Sydney Test to see if we can even up the series or if the Indians will win for the first time in Australia.



Beautiful long-stemmed roses from our garden

Wes picked me up after the Test was over & we drove back home, which is always so very welcoming. I spent the afternoon unpacking & washing clothes again, before sitting down with a pot of Jasmine tea & the bits of the Age I hadn’t read when I was in Melbourne. As well, Wes & I debriefed on the guests he had invited over during my absence – David Hall came for a boozy dinner one night & David Early for a working lunch another day. Also, Wes attended Jenny Beacham’s 80th birthday party, which started at the civilised hour of 4pm. Apart from that, he had been busy in the garden & at the computer, as well as doing the Coles & Sunday Market shopping.

We walked around Lake Daylesford together this morning & spent some time with Barry the fisherman, who left England with his wife, June, some years ago, to live here where their daughter, Gemma, has married a local, Martin, and produced two grand-daughters that are the apple of their eyes. Barry fishes most mornings around the Lake but must keep an eye on the ducks & birds that come to steal his bait – Maloney Labradors have been known to get close as well!
Wes has spent the morning in the garden, while I’ve done the usual weekend house chores & caught up with emails, late Christmas cards & writing this Dispatch. We hope to get to the New Year’s Eve Parade tonight, but if we don’t, we’ll enjoy an early glass together well before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment