Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 27 August 2017

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 27th August 2017




Bilbo was so thrilled with last Sunday’s breakfast that he overate dreadfully & we have decided to limit the amount he consumes from us, the Market & friends on Sunday Mornings. I am not sure that anyone will be happy with this decision, least of all Bilbo…even if it is for his own good.

I brought home a beautiful bare-rooted Violina hybrid tea-rose from the Market – one I had never seen or heard about before & it has been planted in a special spot.

It was a freezing morning on Tuesday, when I drove to sunny Strathmore to spend time with Leanne. The temperature here was -1˚ when I left & 4˚ when I returned. However, the temperature in Strathmore got as high as 17˚, quite a difference indeed.

We were due for another busy week, with free days in between trips to Melbourne, but I threw a spanner in the works on Wednesday morning, when I came home after gym & a lovely catch-up with Judi, as I was feeling sicker by the minute. Bed rest is the only thing that works & it meant we had to cancel our plans to attend the Bradman Lunch at the MCC on Thursday. This is an annual event that we both really enjoy. It is hosted by Gerard Whateley & usually Greta Bradman sings for us. Brendan Kierce tells me that the lunch went very well with Len Pascoe as the Guest Speaker doing an excellent job.  


Wes looked after me in his usual caring fashion on Wednesday & Thursday, but I wouldn’t let him cancel a trip to Melbourne on Friday for a school reunion that he had organised at the Yorkshire Stingo Hotel in Collingwood.

Yesterday, I watched in amazement as Collingwood hung on for an unexpected & very welcome win in the last game of the home & away season. I had planned to be at that match, but I am still confined to bed as this head cold has turned into bronchitis – a legacy of having no immune system I am sure. My thoughts go out to our mate, Danny, who has also been laid low all week with a similar bug.

We were shocked to hear of the sudden & unexpected death of Drew Morphett, a sports commentator, aged 69. Drew was a young Sydneysider, who knew nothing about Aussie Rules, when he was thrown in the deep end, learning to call the game in Perth with the help of a former Carlton captain. I think he endeared himself to everyone with his infectious grin & great love of sport – Aussie Rules, cricket & racing being his three favourites. He was a cult figure in the 80s as the anchor man on the ABC’s ‘The Winners’ every Saturday night.



  
Wes showed the film, Monsieur Chocolat last night at the Daylesford Cinema to a very appreciative audience. I took the opportunity to turn the lights out at 7.30pm, and had the best sleep I have managed for the week. I am still coughing & asthmatic this morning, but I suspect the worst is over.
  


Nurse Baggins looking after me while Wes is away in Melbourne!

No comments:

Post a Comment