Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 30 April 2017

Daylesford Autumn Dispatch - Sunday, 30th April 2017



Dear Friends, we enjoyed a lovely long lunch with Kyahl & Loz last Sunday, after a fun breakfast at the Food Gallery with Judi, Barbara, Janine & Margot.
Wes had excelled himself with a vegetarian pasta, salad, sweets & cheeses – I set the table & arranged the flowers – a trick I learned from Annie Smith many years ago, when David used to do the cooking & wanted her out of the kitchen!! They brought a beautiful bottle of French pinot with them, which they picked up at ‘Wine & the Country’ here.

On Monday morning, after walking Bilbo around the Lake a little later than usual, I stopped at our Post Office to pick up a parcel & discovered two bags of wool from friends of Kathy Lazzaro. Kathy had told them about ‘Keeping Daylesford Warm’ and how donations of wool were much appreciated, so they pooled their unwanted balls & sent them to me. I was very chuffed indeed.


Stunning lilies from Annie Smith – now into their 3rd week!

ANZAC Day dawned cold & wet, so we decided to miss the Dawn Service and observe the ceremony at Eganstown instead. It was beautiful, as always, with the highlight of Sallie Harvey singing unaccompanied ‘And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda’.

Afterward we went for breakfast at Boathouse CafĂ© where we were looked after well by Susanne & Claire as usual. Wes very kindly drove me to Woodend, where I caught the train to Spencer Street & changed for Jolimont & the MCG, where I joined 87,000+ for the traditional (23 years now) clash between Collingwood & Essendon.  The ceremonies were moving, the joint banner was respectful & the game was played in an excellent spirit. Essendon were worthy winners by 3 goals.

On the way to the station, we had dropped off my Summer knitting to Jodie in Wheatsheaf. She has taken over running ‘Keeping Daylesford Warm’ from Mel & was most appreciative of the 20+ brightly-coloured beanies & berets, plus boy’s jumper & matching beanie that I had for her.

You never quite know what is around the corner, and I learnt that with a vengeance on Wednesday just as I was finishing off my gym routine and took an unexpected tumble. Luckily, I landed on my bottom, but managed to sprain my right wrist when I flung my arm out to break the fall. I was delighted to discover that I hadn’t broken it and am merely inconvenienced for a couple of weeks. Like everyone who has taken a fall they didn’t expect, I needed some rest and ended up with a couple of days in bed. Poor Wes had to collect me from the gym & take me to the doctor & later walk back up to West Street to pick up my car, rather than leave it out overnight.

On Friday, we were back at the Springs Medical Centre to get our flu injections & an extra pneumonia jab for me. The two nurses decided to administer both shots at once and did so on the count of three, standing on either side of me.



As well as looking after me, Wes is helping Barbara, whose car wheelchair was damaged when it fell from the roof-rack about two weeks ago. The car is drivable in spite of some damage, but she can’t use it properly until the wheelchair is back in place. Hopefully the ‘mad inventors’ in Ballarat will be able to fix it and prevent that happening again.

We have had to cancel some activities and postpone others. Each day I can do a little more with my right hand, but lifting, carrying & gym are all out for a while. This morning Wes has walked Bilbo early & taken him to the Sunday Market in my stead. After that he is off to Sailors Falls Estate for the morning to help with grape-picking.

Carlton beat the Swans yesterday in an unexpected victory, and Wes is thrilled to bits, especially when their Freo recruit, Alex Silvagni, played so well on Buddy Franklin. The worst part of the game was the dreadful fall onto his head by Swan Gary Rohan, who is in Epworth Hospital having scans after knocking himself unconscious. We were very upset watching it on TV – it must have been far worse to have seen it happen live.

Our Sydney friends, Jane & David Knox, had to say goodbye to their 18-year old cat, Dora, this week. We have been thinking of them – all pet owners dread that time & we know how much they are missing Dora.


We had hoped to get to the footy this afternoon, to see Collingwood play Geelong, but have decided it is just too much, so will watch it on TV instead & hope for an upset win over the unbeaten Cats at the MCG!

No comments:

Post a Comment