Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 29 January 2017

Daylesford Summer Dispatch - Sunday, 29th January 2017




Dear Friends, what a wonderful way we started the week. Gerard Lazzaro joined us for our early morning walk at Sunday, which we took at Jubilee Lake. It was quite dark when we set off, but dawn broke at the exact right time for Ged to take some stunning photos and just as we reached the car, a hot-air balloon was being blown up. Wes dropped me home & they continued to the Cornish Hill Lookout, where they had stunning views of the balloon floating across Daylesford.

Next stop was the Sunday Market, where Kathy & Ged also bought some fruit & vegetables from Yvonne & Corey, before going for a wander along the other stalls. Bilbo & I went straight home to wash & put all the produce away, making sure that he got some celery for his trouble.

At breakfast, we made a fuss of David’s wife, Sandy, who had featured in our Local paper. (https://issuu.com/dhslocal/docs/the_local_issue_89_january_16__2017)

She entered into the spirit and signed copies for us all. It was a very happy & fun time, and when Judi produced home-made cumquat marmalade, we all got her to autograph the labels on her beautifully presented jars.


 L-R – Kathy, Ged, Barbara, Karen, Sandy, Judi, Wes & Janine celebrating our Local Hotshot

After breakfast, I joined Kathy & Ged for a stroll around the Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens, before they headed back home to Burwood, hoping to avoid travelling during the hottest part of the day.

Wes drove to Gisborne on Monday morning to attend Jack Luke’s funeral. Jack had been a long-time Brunswick Rotarian, and quite a few from the Club turned up to honour him. Meanwhile I had a cuppa with Annie Smith at Larder, and we caught up on each other’s news. Back home I spent time making phone calls, balancing the books & cleaning up emails, while it got hotter & hotter outside.


Lake Daylesford at 6am on Monday morning

On Tuesday, after gym, I went to Ballarat to get my teeth cleaned & polished! When I went for my annual check-up in December, I was too asthmatic to have that done at the time. While in Ballarat I was able to drop into the bank, pick up a new pair of pants from Kathmandu, as I spilt paint all over my everyday pair, and collected some knitting wool at Lincraft to finish a pair of Daylesford Doggies beanies for Wes & me. Anka had given me some wool at Christmas and I was able to match the colours perfectly. Meanwhile, Wes showed the film ‘Sing’, which had an appreciative audience of 20 or so.

Beautiful roses to brighten any day!

I met Rhonda for lunch at Cliffys – it seems like ages since we spent time together & we have been friends for a long time. It was lovely to catch up and we enjoyed a very healthy green salad and some hot tea.

On Wednesday, I drove to Strathmore to help Leanne with some issues. As so many of you know, it is so hard when you are living on your own & haven’t got any one to bounce ideas off or get help when you need it. She was most appreciative, and we managed to solve all the main worries. Wes had spent the morning with Barbara, working in her garden, and it was a perfect day to do that.

We didn’t really take much notice of Australia Day this year. I’m feeling more & more like it is Invasion Day and as I don’t like our flag one little bit, I am quite reluctant to do any celebrating. Barry had decided to run his gym classes, so I walked there & back, while Wes got stuck into our garden and did wonders. He cut down the Banksia rose, which has grown all over the Dog Decking, making it impossible for Bilbo to see us or for us to see him.

After an early walk & supermarket shopping, I got stuck into painting again, something I have been wanting to do for ages, but haven’t had the energy. Until it got too hot, I worked on the front and then moved onto the Dog Decking, which is desperate for a fresh coat of paint. My next job was to plant some dwarf beans into our planter boxes and move the chilli plants, which hadn’t liked living there back into the greenhouse, where they thrive.


This makes me think of Book Groups I have belonged to in the past!

Wes had a delightful morning with Brian Nash & they spent time in Mount Prospect, Newlyn & Langdon’s Hill. As usual they found some interesting & iconic photos to add to their collection for Brian to paint.

Yesterday morning we had breakfast at the Food Gallery, where we scored the Locals’ Table and everyone else who came in during that time was also a local, so there were lots of cheery greetings. Margot asked after Bilbo & didn’t believe that we had caught him (yet again) trying to break branches off the apple tree to get at the apples. She suggested the evidence was merely circumstantial!


Back home and Wes got stuck into the front garden, planting geraniums he had propagated, while I managed an hour of painting before it got too hot.

This morning we had a lovely walk around Lake Daylesford and Bilbo is once again at my feet waiting for me to finish what I am doing & take him to the Sunday Market. After breakfast, we hope to visit the Winsome Moffat pop-up Art Exhibition at the Daylesford Museum and then I think we will stay put, as it is going to be very hot again.




Lovely photo of Daniel Lazzaro, son of David & Helen, at the MCG, barracking for the Melbourne Stars recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment