Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 15 November 2015

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 15th November 2015




Dear Friends, last Sunday’s breakfast was one of the most entertaining we have attended this year. David & Sandy Castles joined us as they were spending the day in this area looking at houses for sale. They are very keen to buy a weekender here, and are looking at properties of all shapes and sizes. David was delightfully vague and we did enjoy a few laughs at his expense. Janine had brought her lovely son, Paul, with her again, and he participated wholeheartedly. Margot was back after her cataract operation, and Bilbo got enough food to keep him happy for 24 hours. David & Sandy’s dog, Bam Bam, joined Bilbo.....fortunately he isn’t greedy and was happy to nibble on a piece of bacon.

On Monday, I went off to gym and returned the car in time for Wes to go to his Writers’ Group at ‘Wombat Hill House’ in the Gardens. Nick Massaro and his wife, Robyn, were there with other friends from Woolnoughs Road in Porcupine Ridge, enjoying their monthly breakfast get-together.

Afterwards Nick came to give me a massage, which we did while listening to and watching the cricket. Nick then fixed two of our doors, which refuse to lock and planed the bottom of the front door where it has been sticking. He managed to make those jobs last until the cricket was finished and Australia had won the 1st Test against a depleted and injured Kiwi side.




It was a big weekend for sacraments – on the top is my cousin, Michael Hoolihan, with his wife, Kelly, and their children, Amelia & Archie on the occasion of their christening.

Below them is my niece, Jessie Mammino, with her husband, Anthony, and their children, Dante & Chiara, on Chiara’s First Communion Day.

I ended up spending Tuesday in bed – a combination of a bad asthma attack and chronic fatigue. This meant I missed out on the 10am film, which was ‘Everest’. There was only a small audience, but they all enjoyed it. Judi returned our car as Michael was arriving home from Blackheath later that night. Bilbo kept me company all day and we both managed a sleep in the afternoon, which was very good indeed.

Wes went off to a meeting at the Daylesford Book Barn that evening, where he and one other listened to an ‘African Coaching Talk’, which turned out to be a couple trying to dissuade Vietnamese from using powdered rhino horns. Apart from everything else, with Australia’s appalling treatment of refugees, we can hardly be critical of other countries just at present.

I was feeling much better on Wednesday, but decided not to risk gym, where I had been so asthmatic. Sandra came to clean at 7.30am and I headed off to play Mah Jong about 90 minutes later. Wes had been asked to lay a wreath for Catherine King at the Remembrance Day ceremony at 11am and afterward he headed off to visit Margot and help her with her computer, which has been playing up again.


On Thursday, I went to gym, where Ian McKenzie let me know that our friend, George Killingback, had died peacefully at Daylesford Hospital. I am so pleased that I was able to visit him at home last week, as he went into hospital the next day and deteriorated very rapidly.

It was good to have something to get my teeth stuck into for the rest of the day. We had bought one of Joan Testro’s bookcases to put in the guest bedroom. It is honey-coloured and fits perfectly and we both think it makes the room look more welcoming.

As a result of moving books into it, I then had to tackle the main bookcases downstairs, one side of which was in a bit of a pickle. Wes helped me by adjusting some of the shelves then he headed off to spend the day with Barbara in Ballarat at the Spinal Cord Meeting & lunch. Afterwards he hosted the local ALP’s Q&A session with our immediate past Mayor, Kate Redwood.....and received rave reviews for his efforts.


Kate & Warren at the Daylesford Hotel

I spent the day reorganising the books, putting some that had avoided the Inventory into it, labelling those that weren’t already and getting it into some sort of order. The small books are in alphabetical order, but the large books are a dog’s breakfast and need quite a bit of work. However, I now have them standing upright, instead of in piles and I can begin to classify them – whether alphabetically or by subject I have yet to decide.

On Friday morning, Wes headed off to Brunswick early to sign all the papers needed for a smooth settlement on Monday of Joan Testro’s home. Meanwhile I took Bilbo shopping with me before we joined the Bush Walkers doing the lovely Wombat Trail in Trentham. We last did this walk when it was Winter, and everyone enjoyed the dry track and the beautiful rhododendrons, which are only now showing their best.

One of this week’s vases of roses with Big Purple making good its boast!

We arrived home in time for lunch and the first day of the 2nd Test at the WACA, where Australia was lucky enough to win the toss again and bat well during the first session.

Yesterday while Wes spent time in the garden and at the computer, I drove to Strathmore to spend time with Leanne. While I was there, the shocking news from Paris came through on my phone, so Leanne turned on the TV and we watched the dreadful events unfolding. All I could think about were two Australian friends, Viviane Vagh and Alan Austin, hoping against hope that they were both all right.

On my return home, Wes was able to tell me that both were OK and we decided to have lunch at ‘Jackie’s on Vincent’, where Jackie & Lisa welcomed us very warmly. Old friend and wonderful artist, George Jackson, was there having lunch with his friend, Peter Holthouse, another good artist. Another friend, Joyce, told us that yet another old friend, Geof Brown, was in Daylesford Hospital and not expected to survive the weekend. We were quite shocked and sad, but so pleased we had found out from Joyce, rather than read a death notice in the local paper.

Gayle Gibson’s father, ‘Mick’ Dennis, died aged 96 in Sydney last Monday. He was a former Commando during World War II, and was awarded the Military Medal for courage under fire. He had a great sense of humour, was a champion swimmer & wrestler and will be very much missed.


‘Mick’ Dennis 


and another 96-year-old, Jane Knox’s father, Frank, at Balmoral Beach this week
  
This morning has dawned cool and windy, but that hasn’t deterred Bilbo who is sitting at my feet waiting for me to finish at the computer and take him to the Sunday Market. He is positioned in such a way that I can’t move my chair without hitting him, just in case he should have fallen deeply asleep and missed my getting 

No comments:

Post a Comment