Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 20 September 2015

Daylesford Spring Dispatch - Sunday, 20th September 2015


 

Dear Friends, when I left you last Sunday, Bilbo and I were looking forward to pumping mineral water, the Sunday Market and breakfast, especially as Margot would be back and giving Bilbo an extra treat or two. Margot brought her friend, Gladys, with her, and Gail White arrived saying that getting up early wasn’t so hard after all! We enjoyed a good chat, catching up on Margot’s holiday in Coolangatta and Judi’s latest visit to Caloundra to see her mother, Mavis.

Afterwards Wes spent a frustrating 90 minutes or so trying to get Foxtel to recognise the free-to-air stations on our TVs and finally spoke to a supervisor, who agreed to send out a technician. Imagine our joy when that technician came at 9am the next morning and re-tuned all the stations, saying they had not been done correctly the last time.

Stunning photo of a friend’s home being moved from Hepburn to Daylesford in 1910 – pity the poor horses!

I was unable to watch the Collingwood seconds playing Sandringham in a cutthroat final, but Leanne kept me up-to-date with scores, and after the Magpies led for most of the match, we were overrun at the end. The same thing happened to sentimental favourites, Richmond, at the MCG, that afternoon, when they were unable to maintain their early lead, and lost to North Melbourne narrowly in front of 90,000+.

On Monday, Wes took Bilbo to Victoria Park for a different early walk, and I decided to walk to gym, where I hadn’t been for six weeks. The walk was a good idea, as I didn’t feel so stiff when I arrived. Everyone was pleased to see me and I did a sensible routine, before walking back home again via the Post Office, Tonna’s and the Pharmacy.

We had invited Terry Larkins & his partner, Lyn Richardson, who live in Gisborne, and Bob White, who is in Trentham, to come to lunch, and it was a perfect day for visitors. Wes spent the early morning gardening in the front before getting settled in the kitchen and creating wonders, as he does. I set the table, arranged the flowers, made sure there was enough cold white wine, and iced water.

Terry and Lyn arrived just before midday, which was 30 minutes earlier than we expected, but Wes coped very well and just kept on chopping and preparing, while I took Lyn on a tour of the house. We realised, as this house has been around for 11 years, that their visit was very overdue, as the last time Lyn came to our house, we were in the old weekender.

Lunch went well – Wes had made his best fish pie ever and accompanied it with drumsticks smothered in coriander seeds and peppercorns, as well as green beans. Terry & Lyn had brought some cheeses, so I added a yummy French blue to their choices, and we finished up with Eton Mess using freshly bought strawberries & raspberries. Everyone sat around over coffee and chocolates until it was nearly 4pm and Bob wanted to go home to walk his dog, Rusty.


Bob with his grandson on Fathers’ Day before the Collingwood vs Essendon game

It was a minute after our guests left that Bob rang to let us know that Malcolm Turnbull had decided to challenge Tony Abbot for the job of Prime Minister. We watched ABC 24 until we were saturated in news of the spill and went to bed not knowing the result. Even AFL 360 got into the act with Robbo challenging Gerard Whateley to be the main compere – Gerard won with allegedly 95% of the vote, Robbo 2% and Undecided 3%!!!

 I couldn’t sleep properly and woke just after 10pm to discover Malcolm had won and Australia was rid of Tony Abbot at last. I let Wes know and we both slept very happily after that. Even though it probably means that the Liberals will have another term in office, I much prefer the sort of government Malcolm Turnbull offers Australia to the shame I, and so many others have experienced, under Tony’s leadership. I have to go back to Billy McMahon’s time to remember a similar feeling, and fortunately, his reign was cut short as well.

After 21° on Monday, we listened to the rain fall steadily through the night, and needed to put the heating on when we got up, as the temperature had fallen by at least 10°. It was too wet for Wes to walk Bilbo before he went to the Daylesford Cinema to show the film ‘Trainwreck’, which he told me I would not enjoy. I had the morning at home apart from walking Bilbo when the weather improved. We had leftovers for lunch and then I suggested Wes go back to bed as I thought he was looking very tired and his cough had returned. He rejected the idea and went downstairs to work, but within 30 minutes, he was back again, saying I was right and he needed to lie down.


Me aged three, wearing a dress made by my grandmother, Doll Munro

Wes was much improved on Wednesday, but I persuaded him to lie in bed reading The Age until just before Sandra arrived to clean. Once again I walked to gym, had a good workout and walked back home again. On the way, I ran into our neighbours, David & Steve, who live in front of Rob & Dene’s house. They have bought a home in Yamba and we thought they had moved there permanently, but it is a Winter escape only. Later I took Bilbo for a walk around the Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens and bought some fresh Atlantic salmon steaks for lunch, which Wes baked to perfection in the oven, and I provided salads.

I was absolutely thrilled to still have energy after all that exercise in the morning, so took advantage of the lovely weather to do some potting of seedlings. I had emptied out the greenhouse and it was looking very sad indeed. Now it has grosse lisse and roma tomatoes, as well as zucchini and coriander seedlings. I have planted a few small geraniums in pots to provide colour – the cockies are destroying the pansies, so I hope they will leave these plants alone.


Geese at the corner of Houston & King Streets – they’ll be at our house next!

We were very sorry to hear from Janine Hawker’s son, Paul, that his father, David, had died on Monday at Daylesford Hospital. He has been unwell for sometime as a result of strokes and lately discovered that he had cancer too. Janine and her daughter, Peta, are away in Russia on a short cruise, which they have decided to complete before returning to hold a memorial service for David.

Wes had been invited by Peter Gavin to go to the Celtic Club on Thursday, for ‘St Pat’s Day in Spring’, so he asked Tom & Danny to come along, and booked Danny’s spare bed for the night, much to my relief. He set off in the early afternoon looking great in his new green jumper. Meanwhile I had spent lunchtime at ‘Jackie’s on Vincent’ catching up with Judi and spending a very leisurely 1½ hours together. We knew most of the other diners including Jasmine Sinclair, who used to own it when it was ‘Gracenotes’.

In the morning I had walked Bilbo twice around the path of the Botanic Gardens, mostly because I just love all the hellebores which are still out – there is every shade from cream to deep purple, and the hyacinths, which range from white, yellow and pale pink through to the deepest burgundy. Bilbo loves the fernery, where he can brush his face along the fish ferns and we both enjoy the running water, which cascades down into a small pond.



Wes, Tom & Danny enjoyed a lovely night together at the Celtic Club, sampling whiskies, drinking Guinness and eating bangers & mash. They shared a taxi home, which was very sensible. The next morning Wes bought croissants for he and Danny to share for breakfast before coming back home via ‘Sunny the Indian Barber’.


Tom, Wes & Danny – two out of three wearing green!

Bilbo and I had an interesting night, which started with him sound asleep by my side of the bed, until I woke unable to move at 1.48am to discover he had jumped onto the bed and was wedged up next to me, leaving me with approximately 10cm of bed. I tried to push him away, but he turned into an immovable Labrador and stayed that way until 6am, when I tempted him off the bed with a bone. Later we went supermarket shopping, then walked around the Botanic Gardens before coming home and gardening for a while.

Wes cooked a colourful pasta lunch on his return and then spent the rest of the afternoon resting. We went to bed to watch the footy but it was all over at quarter time, with the Hawks playing at their absolute best and the Crows no match for them at all.

Yesterday I set off to Strathmore early to visit Leanne. We had a good visit and I arrived back home in time for a yummy risotto. My two boys had enjoyed a quiet morning, reading The Age and relaxing in the sun. After all the driving, I find I am quite tired when I get home and happy to spend the rest of the day reading, listening to the radio and doing the crosswords.

We settled in that night to watch North Melbourne play Sydney at the Olympic Stadium, and although, Sydney tried their hardest, they were no match for the Kangaroos in the second half, especially as they were missing quite a few of their star players.

This morning Bilbo and I are off to the Sunday Market, then breakfast. We have nothing planned for the rest of the day, as Monday is a busy one, especially for Wes. We are excited to be having a lunchtime visit from Lovely (Karen) & Malcolm, whom we haven’t seen in ages and tomorrow night, Wes has been invited by the ABC Ballarat to be an audience member at ‘Q&A’, which will feature Bill Shorten. He asked me if I would like to go with him, but I suggested he take someone a little more politically savvy, such as Jenny Beacham, instead. She accepted with pleasure and they are both looking forward to their evening together.



Waterfall & pool in the fernery, Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment