Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 8 June 2014

Daylesford Winter Dispatch - Sunday, 8th June 2014


Dear Friends, we ended up with a very quiet, very wet Sunday last weekend. The mist stayed over the Lake most of the day and the rain didn’t let up. I made some Tomato Relish and juiced all the lemons that Bill & Sue had given us, before retiring to watch footy, do crosswords and knit in front of the open fire. We opened a bottle of 2012 Angove Shiraz and, as it was finished when we went to bed, I suspect it was a successful buy!

Monday was freezing cold and too wet underfoot to play golf, but Wes and Bilbo had their early walk while I read The Age and did the crosswords. Once the sun came out, it was a beautiful day, so I walked into town to collect our mail from the Post Office and took Bilbo with me. We enjoyed the walk and it gave Wes a chance to spread newspapers and straw on the garden without any assistance.

Lovely photo of Jeff & Kev meeting their grand-daughter, Amelia, last weekend. It looks as though everyone is happy with the event!

We had decided to see Sunshine on Leith in Gold Class at Ballarat so headed there for the lunchtime session. We thoroughly enjoyed the film and can’t recommend it more highly. It is set in beautiful Edinburgh and shows the city at its best. Great acting by Jane Horrocks and Peter Mullen in particular and wonderful singing by all the cast – don’t miss it!

Tuesday wasn’t so cold early, and the boys had their walk before I set off to gym. Afterwards I had a cup of tea with Jane Barrett – we do gym and play Scrabble together, but rarely get the time to catch up, so it was good to do that. When I arrived at The Food Gallery, there was a Closed sign on the door, but Pasquale and Toni were inside. I knocked and they opened the door, explaining that an hour ago, Toni had opened the fridge door and a tray of sun-dried tomatoes in oil had fallen out and onto the floor. They hadn’t been able to open until they cleaned up all the oil – just what you don’t need first thing in the morning!

Wes cooked fish in breadcrumbs with peas and sweet potato chips, before dropping me off at EKO, where I had a manicure with Emma. Later that afternoon Nick arrived to give me a massage, but his wife, Robyn, rang about 20 minutes into the massage to say that their next-door neighbour had suffered a stroke and wasn’t expected to live and would Nick please meet her at Daylesford Hospital. We both agreed that was more important than the massage, so Nick left.

Wednesday was clear early, but the mist came right down after 6am, and although it wasn’t cold, it was hard to see very far in front of you and I couldn’t see the Lake from our study. Sandra came to clean, Wes filled the bins with weeds and I went off to Mah Jong with Dot & Valerie. We had a fun morning and I stayed to have lunch with Valerie. When I got back home I discovered that Warren & Barbara were in Woodend in his car. Her car had been playing up again so they took it Howe Automotive here in East Street, and while they were waiting for the car to be repaired they went for a long drive. The car took longer than expected, but at 5pm Wes was able to collect it and return it to Barbara’s garage. I should have been helping, but had gone to bed with a sudden bout of extreme tiredness during the afternoon.

Jeff sent me this lovely photo of Viva outside Notre Dame in 1988 – I don’t remember having seen this before

I ended up spending Thursday in bed, as that is the best way to recover from these periods of exhaustion. Wes was wonderful, making yummy meals and looking after Bilbo, who has decided Wes is his best friend, except for the time between about 3pm (in case I feed him early) and 5pm (when I do feed him). It was a freezing cold morning and bed was easily the best place to be!
On Friday, I was feeling much better, so drove to Ballarat to put my Sunbeam Mixmaster in for repair. I had been juicing lemons, when suddenly smoke emerged from the motor area, so I stopped doing that and rang Gail White to find out where I might be able to get it repaired. The place in Ballarat was very optimistic and I find out for sure next week. I can’t imagine life without this lovely old machine which I rescued when Viva went upmarket many years ago.

We watched the Carlton vs Geelong game together and thought Carlton was very unlucky to lose in the last minute. It was a great match and the Blues played very well indeed. It would have been a very long drive home if we had gone.

Yesterday Wes walked Bilbo early and I did lots of shopping – the Farmers’ Market, Coles and Tonnas’. We are expecting a visit from Kathy & Ged Lazzaro today for a couple of nights, as well as a day visit from Terry Borg on Tuesday, so the chef is going to be kept busy providing yummy meals.

Kathy enjoying her favourite weather!
This morning was too cold and drizzly for the early walk, so we three enjoyed a sleep in before it was time to send this Dispatch and take Bilbo to the Sunday Market to buy the week’s fruit & vegetables, two weeks’ worth of dog bones and perhaps a rose if Ken has something special in his van.


Wes invited Bilbo onto his lap for a cuddle last night and he was there in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment