Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Monday 30 December 2013

Daylesford Summer Dispatch - Monday, 30th December 2013


 
Dear Friends, such a lot goes on when I don’t send a weekly Dispatch! I left you on 21st December and we have been busy since then. The next day, Sunday, we enjoyed a lovely breakfast together at Gracenotes Café, and Glenn & Denise joined us for coffee afterwards. I had taken the boys to the Sunday Market, where everyone was very pleased to see them, and when we arrived back home, I had to take Bilbo off the lead as Frodo was sitting on it and choking him in the back of the car. Bilbo promptly set off. I shouted to Wes and took Frodo inside while Wes set off to catch Bilbo. Fortunately he had stopped in the middle of our street when he realised Frodo wasn’t coming with him! I don’t Frodo ever wants to run away again, so hopefully that will stop Bilbo when he gets a bee in his bonnet.

Bilbo & Frodo, the way we prefer them to be!

At lunchtime we went to a wonderful, healing Celebration of the life of Stuart Rattle at St Peter’s Catholic Church here in Daylesford. There were 5 speakers and 2 singers as well as a quartet playing Handel. The last speaker, Patrice O’Shea from the Friends of the Wombat Gardens, really nailed with her speech, as she was the only one to talk about Michael and remind us that we had lost two people, not just one. There was a huge turnout, which would have been very comforting to Stuart’s two sisters who were in attendance. Wayne & Chris from Pepper’s Springs Hotel put on chicken sandwiches and champagne afterwards, (as Stuart had requested), but we were unable to attend, as we headed straight to Melbourne to visit Viva.

Viva was sound asleep, but we were able to talk with her briefly when the nurse changed her dressings, and she was thrilled with the visit and the fragrant pink roses we had brought from our garden. We dropped in to see Leanne on our way home and enjoyed a hot drink and a chat, as well as scoring some great presents!

On Monday we did the morning shift at the Town Hall, for Christmas Cheer. This involves manning a trestle table groaning with goodies – in my case – cakes, puddings, mince pies and meringues; Wes had the biscuit selection, which included lots of Tim Tams, cheese crackers, iced ginger biscuits and even some gluten-free goodies. There were 176 families registered for this, which is a very sobering thought in this mostly well-off community.

We decided to have fish and chips for lunch around 2pm and spent the rest of the afternoon resting, as we were exhausted both physically and mentally from our travels and the morning’s activity. However, we were very thrilled to receive a surprise Christmas floral arrangement from Peter and Anka, just as I was thinking about buying some Christmas lilies.

Just love this photo of Peter and Anka on their wedding day in Sydney in 2005 with Judi & I below

I had planned to visit Viva on Tuesday morning to give Leanne a break and dropped in to see Lal on my way to give our Christmas presents and deliver some eggs that Gillie had given me for Viva. Leanne has everywhere looking festive, including tinsel around Viva’s chair waiting for her return. A new ramp has been installed in the front which eradicates the step that has been the cause of near-falls, and the shower recess has been raised with a small ramp leading into it as well.

When I found Viva the Brunswick Private, I was delighted to see her sitting up for the first time and thrilled to see me. She has a lovely room with a big window and I put the freesias and peace roses I brought her in a jar on the sill so she could see them. I was there for nearly 2 hours – she wanted to know what was happening, and had forgotten that we visited on Sunday. The physio arrived to get Viva taking deep breaths and standing up, and I reminded Viva that the sooner she could walk, the sooner she would arrive home. We rang Leanne with the good news while I was there and she was overjoyed, as she too, had only seen Viva sleeping.

I arrived home to a lovely late lunch of oysters and snapper, accompanied by a Cofield Sparkling White, which was all wonderful and we celebrated Viva’s amazing recovery. Wes had the energy for some gardening, but I just sat and read and did crosswords as I was spent.

Christmas Day was lovely – Wes walked the boys early, then came home for breakfast and some books I had found for him. I took over the kitchen making salads and brandy butter until 8.30, and then we went for a walk around the Lake. We arrived back just as the phone rang and it was Viva to wish us a Happy Christmas. Leanne was with her and had dialled the number – such a thrill. Peter and Anka were flying into Melbourne late morning and were planning to visit Viva at lunchtime.

Leon was the first of our guests to arrive and helped Warren with the stubborn gas bottle, then went to Barbara’s to help bring over her ham and ramp. While this was happening in came Denise & Barry armed with big bon-bons and their preferred sweet wine. Wes cooked up a storm of fish, lamb and beef, each with their separate accompaniments and everyone tucked in. The pudding lived up to its usual standard…I’m struggling to think of a failure of this old recipe handed down from my great-grandmother and adapted for the metric system by me some years ago! We did enjoy sitting outside on the decking for a change.

      Barbara, Denise, Leon, Barry, Karen, the pudding and the back end of a Labrador!

We spent a quiet evening – Wes did some watering and I got all the washing, ironing & dishwashing done before we went to bed. This doesn’t often happen, but it does help when we have to be up very early the next morning for the trip to Melbourne and the Boxing Day Test.

Wes walked the boys just after 5am for about an hour, I put out all the bins in the street, checked John & Jan’s home, posted letters and finished packing in time for us to leave at 7am for breakfast with Peter and Anka at The European. We enjoyed our catch-up with them, and they headed off shopping while Wes dropped me off at the MCC Entrance and then checked me into Rydge’s Hotel in Exhibition Street.

He then visited Viva, giving Leanne some time off, and picked her up for a yum cha lunch at Shark Fin House, before heading home to the boys. I had a reserved seat with a perfect view and really enjoyed Day 1 as the Poms batted well. How exciting to be part of a world record crowd!

 


 Jane Knox flew in that afternoon and we met at Yum Cha Café for prawns and vegetables and a good catch up. We were both in bed early and ready for 8am breakfast at The European the next morning.

We met up with Gillie from Daylesford and Andrea, aka Bilby, who we met many years ago in Alice Springs, and have remained in touch with. She was keen to catch up and breakfast suited her as she is HR Manager at the Arts Centre, which is a hop, skip & jump away. Gillie left to drive to the ground and get a seat, while Jane and I enjoyed a leisurely stroll and met David Lazzaro when we arrived. Once again it was a good day’s cricket; especially Mitchell Johnson’s ferocious bowling, which intimidated the English lower order. The Aussies struggled to match their total however and the pendulum had swung back in England’s favour.

That night Jane and I found a funny little Thai restaurant in Lonsdale Street, in the heart of Greek food – Le Bangkok. Our meal was very yummy, but we were amused that the wine list was much bigger than the food menu and that the specials of the day were all wines by the glass!

Day 3 I met Leon Anderson at breakfast, where he enjoyed freshly squeezed orange juice and a huge omelette with bacon inside. We walked to our seats in anticipation of an exciting day and it had everything. Jane arrived much later as she wasn’t feeling wonderful. We saw Mitchell Johnson bowl, catch and achieve a run out, and Nathan Lyon get 5 wickets in 38° heat. The weather changed abruptly and the temperature dropped 10° at the same time as the wind swirled around and the ground was covered in debris, which made being out there extra difficult.

 

David, Karen, Warren, Annette and Jane at Trent Bridge this year

Jane left early to go to the airport and missed most of the day’s wickets, but she did hear them on her radio. Leon headed for the train after the game and I went back to Yum Cha Café where I celebrated the amazing turnaround in Australia’s fortunes with another good meal of prawns & rice.

Yesterday, David Lazzaro decided he wanted to see the win, so I got him a Guest Pass and we spent a lovely few hours together watching Chris Rogers and Shane Watson bat beautifully and put the result beyond doubt. I can’t believe how different this has been from the result in England in their Summer this year.

I had planned to visit Viva in the afternoon, but realised that Peter and Anka would probably make a second visit to Viva before they went home last night and Viva tells me they did. So I went to see the film, Philomena, with the incomparable Judi Dench, and enjoyed it very much. I rang Leanne to let her know I would visit Viva this morning and she could have time off, which she appreciated.

This morning I had a final breakfast at the European, and promised I would see them all again in April when we spend some time in Melbourne for the footy, art galleries etc. After checking out I caught a taxi to Brunswick Private Hospital and spent a couple of hours with Viva, who was looking much improved and who has been told she can probably go home on Friday if she continues to practise walking. We talk about memories she has, things that have happened many years ago or only recently and she was very keen to hear about the Test. Wes arrived at 10.45 to say hello to Viva and collect me.

We had a good run home apart from two breathalysers – one in Woodend and the other in Tylden, about 15 minutes apart. Wes passed both with flying colours and, apart from a detour to collect the mail, headed straight for home and the boys, who were very pleased to see me, and me them.

This is my last Dispatch for 2013 – I hope you all enjoy whatever you do for New Year’s Eve and the following day, and wish us all a very safe, happy and healthy 2014.

             

 

No comments:

Post a Comment