Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Saturday 8 December 2012

Daylesford Dispatch - Saturday, 8th December 2012


Dear Friends, I thought I would send you an early Dispatch as later today I am off to Melbourne to visit Viva and Leanne, before I collect Wes from the airport after his highly successful week away in Queensland. He has enjoyed everything he did, especially the time spent with Ronda, Jay, Kim & John & their two boys. He has heap of stuff for the family tree… not that he needs any encouragement to spend time on it. He decided to spend his free time in Caloundra instead of travelling to Brisbane, so Deane drove to him for dinner on Wednesday night and they ate on the balcony looking out at the sea.

With Jay, Ronda & Kim post breakfast

Wes has also enjoyed early morning swimming, seen the latest James Bond film and found a Shingle Inn in Caloundra where he partook of afternoon tea. The one in Brisbane is an institution, it has been around longer than we have and was my grandmother’s favourite spot to go for many years until she discovered cappuccino, which they didn’t serve, as they were definitely a tea spot. A visit to Brisbane is not complete without something at the Shingle Inn in memory of Doll Munro.

Meanwhile back home I have been managing my time well and coping with the early morning walks with Bilbo & Frodo, as well as exercise class & even a game of golf with Gillie. We lasted 10 holes and celebrated with breakfast at Red Star Café in Hepburn afterwards. The café was full of Strong participants having their coffees after the 9.30 class. Gillie hadn’t played golf for nearly two years and did remarkably well, managing to outdrive me easily after a couple of holes. I hadn’t played for a fortnight, but until I hit the 10th, you would have thought our situations were reversed!

I spent most of the rest of the week putting up Christmas decorations, writing Christmas cards, weeding, reading, doing crosswords, watching & listening to cricket & playing Words with Friends, as well as wading through emails that had built up, and putting in all the sporting dates for the next 12 months. On Wednesday we had our last Mah Jong meeting for the year and Carol let us know that her old group is reforming next year and will be playing in the library. She is delighted, as she just loved playing Mah Jong with them. Dot, Valerie & I will continue meeting, but will wait until next year to decide where.

Carol celebrated her 70th birthday on Thursday & was thrilled to bits to reach the milestone. She doesn’t enjoy good health and has coped with lots of obstacles to reaching this particular birthday. She is celebrating with a family get-together at her place today, catered for by the Belles, Bronwen & Lee.

Yesterday I had a very busy morning – after walking the boys and enjoying a glorious sunrise – a pink & gold shimmer on the Lake, we drove to Leitch’s Creek to pump water, only to discover the spring was closed. So I drove back to Sutton Spring, which used to be my favourite, walked down the steep hill & discovered that the pump had a new, easy to use handle, and that the bridge which had been washed away in a violent storm about 8 years ago, had been replaced. The boys weren’t impressed with their long wait for bones, but they love being out in the car, so I think I am forgiven.

Then I washed both cars, showered, rang Viva & drove to Gracenotes Café, for a late breakfast with Janine Hawker. Janine husband, David, is not enjoying good health, but she had found the time to send me a card when she discovered I had chronic fatigue, so we decided to meet and catch up. We both enjoyed our time together, and I felt sufficiently energised afterwards to buy a quiche & salad for our dinner tonight.

I also went to Daylesford Clothing to check out the clean-shaven Rodney Peacock, who shaved off his beard & moustache to raise $3,500. I have known Rodney for nearly 30 years & have never seen him without his famous moustache. He assured me that he is growing it back again as fast as he can! Rodney used to be a barman at Collingwood Football Club in the 80s when I was involved there and he, an Essendon supporter, had to pretend to follow the Pies. It was a lovely surprise to both of us to meet up again here shortly after we moved to Daylesford.

Today we enjoyed a lovely walk with only the ducks, geese & swans for company. Then I did some early shopping at the supermarket, with the boys in the back of the car watching everything that goes on.

Now I plan to read Saturday’s Age, grab an early lunch & head off just after midday. Let’s hope it doesn’t get quite as hot as we have been promised.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment