Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 30 September 2012

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 30th September 2012



 
Dear Friends, what an exciting Grand Final we watched yesterday. I am sorry for all my Hawthorn supporter mates, but the Swans were amazingly gutsy when the game was slipping away and fully deserved their win. Wes drove me to Ballan station early and I met Jane Knox at European for brunch at 9.45am. She was most impressed that I was wearing red and white. We walked to the MCG through the Fitzroy Gardens which were looking wonderful and I took her into the Conservatory, past Captain Cook’s cottage and over little bridge before we joined the throngs making their way. On our trip around the ground, Jane bought a new scarf – red & white with grey stripes, which really suited her. We spotted lots of celebrities as well as Mick Malthouse, Leigh Matthews & Richard Colless and finally stopped to listen to the Coodabeens before we parted way – Jane to go to the top tier in the Great Southern Stand, and me to the back row on the wing in the MCC.
 

I went for a walk around and was lucky enough to find Loud Gayle, who bought us a glass of bubbles in the Long Room. We found a quiet spot for a good chat, which was lovely. Gayle was looking very well and very excited about the wonderful time her daughter, Gabby, and son, Fraser, are having on holidays in Paris. She and her husband, Fraser, are heading off to Tassie for a few days break on Tuesday. I am quite envious as we are dying to get to MONA, the gallery in Hobart, but haven’t made it there yet.

The game was exciting and the lead see-sawed. It is so good when the two best teams of the year face off and we got a Grand Final that reflected exactly that.  I left the ground after the presentation of the Norm Smith medal as I had to get to Spencer Street in time for the 6.08 Ararat train. I am going to watch the full replay today and see all the bits I missed out. Jane also had to leave early as she had to catch an 8pm flight home to Sydney. She had been driven from the airport on Thursday night by an Indian, who was passionate about cricket and he so enjoyed her company that he offered to collect her after the game. He duly turned up, but when she got to the airport, her flight was cancelled, so Jetstar put her up overnight in Melbourne and she spent the evening watching the replay. This morning her new flight has also been delayed – not a great advertisement for this airline, although she is enjoying sharing the waiting time with lots of Swans supporters.
 

This morning we enjoyed a lovely breakfast with 11 of us there – the best moment came when Terry invited everyone to come and watch the NRL Grand Final with him later this afternoon. Gail nearly collapsed and begged us all not to turn up – Terry had thought it was a safe invitation as no-one else at breakfast is particularly interested in NRL, but we are all very tempted to arrive on the doorstep just to see the look on Gail’s face!

We’ve had a very busy week with the Art Show; the raffle is in full swing with tickets being sold in the main street on Thursday & Friday, and possibly at the Sunday Market today if the volunteers brave the elements. We have Brian’s painting on display on an easel and everyone stops to admire it, which helps the sales. I took a book of tickets to breakfast this morning, but Gary was selling Western Bulldogs tickets, so I’ll wait until next week! Wes and I have been trying to bed down all the sponsors by this weekend, but it will probably take until the end of the week before they are all finalised and we know how our budget is going.

The week seems to have flown by – Wes and Barbara did Hepburn Voices work, went to hydrotherapy and prepared for a Grand Final day party at her place. It was a big success with Carol, Michael, Glenn & Denise in attendance and everyone barracking for the Swans. I suspect there would be enough leftovers to take to Terry and Gail’s tonight to make an instant party there!

I had hoped to visit Viva on Friday, but she rang early to ask me not to come as the weather was so atrocious. I must confess I was quite relieved as I wasn’t looking forward to the drive in hail and wind. When I spoke with Viva this morning she told me she received a phone call from Peter in Paris yesterday. He & Anka are on their way to Milan today, after starting their trip with a wonderful catch up with Leigh in London, and Jeff, Kev and Leigh in Lincolnshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment