Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Monday 13 February 2012

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 12th February 2012

Dear Friends, once again, we have just returned from Café 3460, where we had a most enjoyable breakfast – there were 11 of us, so we sat in the back room and were plied with yummy food & drinks. Our friend, Norma, is staying with us, and she enjoyed meeting everyone & chatting about travel, cricket & Black Caviar. We are shortly heading off for a drive around the area, covering some of the towns that we couldn’t fit in last time she visited.

At the Regent after the 1990 Grand Final L-R Ged, Jessica, David, Ben, Jan, Danny & Jane – some of them Magpies for the day only!               
I’ve been feeling much better this week and we’ve tried to keep up serious exercise every day as it seems to be the way to managing my symptoms best. We played golf together early on Monday & Wednesday and I went out on my own on Friday, where I found myself playing 18 holes and getting my first par on Trentham Golf Course. I thought back to the days when Sherryn & I used to take quite a few strokes to get around 9 holes and I suspect my score in those days is about equal to my score for 18. Some of the exercises I do at Strong are specifically designed to help me do better at golf and it seems to be working.

1994 with Cheryl on the Rivercat on our way to the footy

Wes found a website – www.myfitnesspal.com, which allows you to enter your daily exercise & food intake in an easy fashion, so we are both using it to monitor our health & it has been most helpful. One night last week, neither of us felt like cooking, so we had a pizza, and we discovered that if we ate pizza every night we would stack on the kilos in a very short time. We also decided to try and follow FebFast, which means no alcohol, or at least, cutting down, and that has been an interesting exercise. So far, so good – but I’m counting down the days until 1st March!

As I was feeling better, I decided to try and catch up with friends and spent a lovely morning with Cathy O’Toole, drinking tea and hearing all her news, as well as seeing the latest improvements to her Wee Cottages. The next day, I had a long leisurely lunch with Judi at Café 3460, where we caught up on each other’s news as well.

Yesterday, we picked Norma up at rainy Woodend Station and drove her back here for a 4-day stay. She has been in Melbourne since 25th January staying with her son, Steve Butler, who is a sports writer for the West Australian, and The Age, and they were able to spare her for a few days to visit us. We discovered that visiting us meant
2002 – ‘Hill End’ by Perry Snodgrass, (now ‘Gracenotes’)

she missed out on a trip to Caulfield yesterday to see Black Caviar win her 18th straight race, so we are very delighted that she chose us. After a long breakfast at Gracenotes Café, we came home for a rest, then Norma & I walked into town to buy her a travelling bag similar to mine, which I got from Daylesford Travel. Graham looked after her very well, gave her a local’s discount and the only fly in the ointment was when Norma tripped in the bush (we walked the back way into town) and needed treatment. Once again she was well-looked after at the pharmacy.
6 October, 1990 – Brian & Liam being Magpies for the day watching the Grand Final in Tathra

I had booked Norma in for a massage with Ann Holden at 4pm, so after Black Caviar’s race, I drove her there where Ann also gave her a locals’ discount for her wonderful massage. We decided to have an early dinner at the local Indian restaurant, and Norma, like us, was very impressed with the authenticity of the food. There were lots of locals eating early and escaping before the visitors, who had booked their tables for later in the night.


 Norma with Ian & Terry in 2009 in Perth

No comments:

Post a Comment