Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 9 October 2011

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 9th October, 2011


Dear Friends, first of all, congratulations to Geelong for being the better team when it mattered. I was thrilled that the Pies lasted for three-quarters, but I think we peaked too early and the Cats timed it perfectly. I am sure the celebrations in that city will go on for weeks, if not months.

We didn’t have the quite the week we had hoped for in Melbourne during Grand Final week, as I was unwell with bronchial-asthma, which is taking forever to go away. I am on my second lot of antibiotics and suspect I may need a third. So instead of going to galleries & cinemas, meeting up with friends and enjoying umpteen meals we were restricted to very few activities so that I could get to the Grand Final. We did go to the MCC with Danny for the Coodabeens Brownlow Night, which is when I realised I was coming down with something and lost my voice; Wes had breakfast with Squiz, and he also attended Joan Testro’s 88th birthday bash, where he gave the toast. I missed a wonderful afternoon and am very sorry about that. We did catch up for lunch with Lovely, Malcolm, Ron & Margo at the European, where we all enjoyed a stunning meal and we had yum cha before the GF with David & Helen & Helen’s mother, Anne.

If you are going to be ill and staying at a hotel, the Stamford Plaza was a good place to be. Their room service menu is good and they are very adaptable. It was great to have a kitchenette and separate lounge area, so Wes could relax and watch TV away from my coughing. I have already booked to go back there for the Boxing Day Test. 

 Mick Malthouse saying farewell to Heath Shaw & Daisy Thomas after the GF – he will be missed at Collingwood

Back in Daylesford everyone has been sick – Barbara, Gail, Michael and I from the Breakfast Group, Gillie is looking better than all of us even though she is on crutches! Jane Knox has been in strife since she had a bad fall and damaged her spine. Carol Bruce has been in hospital, but is on the mend at home now.

Viva is going well, although I am not allowed near her in case I give her any germs. When we have spoken on the phone, she sounds stronger and is enjoying watching DVDs most days. Leanne is looking after her brilliantly and I feel very guilty that I have been unable to give her a morning or afternoon off – hopefully that will happen soon.

We have been very busy with the Daylesford Rotary Art Show as I have previously mentioned. The entries are starting to come in and we expect to be very busy over the next two weeks especially. We have sent out invitations to the Opening Night, so our computers are working overtime. I work better in the mornings, so after reading the Age and doing the crosswords each day, I come downstairs and work until lunchtime. Most afternoons I rest, unless there is too much to leave until the next day. Wes has been doing all the dog-walking, shopping and cooking, which has been a wonderful help.

Yesterday I sat in Vincent Street with him for two hours selling raffle tickets in the sun – it was wonderful to be out and I did enjoy the interaction with locals and visitors. However, the afternoon was spent watching the races at Caulfield and especially Black Caviar’s 14th win in a row. I was appalled to read on Facebook that Jane Knox had never heard of this filly before yesterday!!! What planet are you on? Even Judi, who is allergic to most sports, had watched the replay of the race.

This morning Wes went to the Sunday Market and stocked up on fruit and vegetables, carrots and bones for Bilbo & Frodo, and then we went to Cafe 3460 for breakfast. It was lovely to see Gillie and her sister, Wendy, who is over from South Africa looking after her, as well as Judi, Gail, Glenn & Barbara and to catch up on all their news. Wes has gone to the Rotary Shed to help paint the remaining screens for the Art Show and to get help putting backing on our wonderful signs which will be placed at the five entrances to Daylesford. The boys and I are taking it easy and when I have sent this, I will go back upstairs to read for the rest of the afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who has rung or emailed their good wishes over the past two weeks. I hope that I will be fighting fit again by the time I next get in touch, which may not be next Sunday, as we have the company of the Kirbys for the weekend. They will be staying at Lake Daylesford Cottage and we are looking forward to showing them our beautiful town.


No comments:

Post a Comment