Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 11 September 2011

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 11th September 2011


Dear Friends,

Winter doesn’t seem to have left us yet as we have had some very cold days this week, minus temperatures in the mornings and snow in Bullarto, but only sleet here. First of all, I want to give you an update on my health. We have both been worried by my uncharacteristic lethargy, so three months ago I underwent a series of blood tests to see what was wrong. They produced only normal results, so our GP, Greg, suggested I visit Anthony Kemp in Ballarat on the grounds that ‘if there is anything wrong, he’ll find it’.

I had to wait a while for an appointment, but saw him about three weeks ago. He suspected ‘adrenalin fatigue’ and ordered a synacthen test, which I took at St John of God in their emergency department under close supervision. The nurse took a blood sample, then I was injected with adrenalin, then 2 more blood samples were taken after 30 minutes and 1 hour. I failed this test, so Wes and I went back to see Anthony Kemp and he explained that I could be treated with tablets for the rest of my life to solve this issue. However, he wasn’t happy with my very poor readings, and asked me to take the test again, this time at the Ballarat Base Hospital. We went to their ‘Transit Lounge’ last Wednesday to have the tests all over again and this time I passed - which means I don’t have an adrenalin issue, but I do have chronic fatigue syndrome, which recurs every time I get a bad virus. There is no cure, except rest. He is going to check my sleep patterns as well in case they can be improved.

We are both relieved to know finally what the problem is, although it is frustrating not to be able to wave a magic wand and treat it. So I will continue to manage my activities carefully and hope you will be as understanding as you have been in the past, when I have been unable to attend social occasions & Rotary meetings, been too tired to chat on the phone in the afternoons, and haven’t been able to enter into life with quite the spirit I should. Wes has been wonderfully supportive and helpful during this time and I am glad to have had him at my side as we have worked through the various possibilities.

When I left you last Sunday we were heading to Dunnstown to see Daylesford play Buninyong in a Preliminary Final. John & Jan Smith came with us and we all enjoyed seeing the win, although Daylesford ran out of legs in the last quarter and let the other team get within 8 points. Bilbo and Frodo enjoyed it as they got to eat chips and be patted by children. Sadly, the Doggies weren’t good enough yesterday and lost to Waubra, but this was their 5th consecutive Grand Final, which is a great effort and they were not the best team during the year.

Wes in Sydney in 1970
Apart from travelling to Ballarat this week, we had dinner at Mercato on Monday night with Ken & Carol Morris and friends of theirs, Michelle & Doug, who are running The Grill at Tylden. They are also artists, so we talked to them about entering our Art Show, among many other topics. We enjoyed a beautiful meal, as usual, at Mercato, where the standard is amazingly high and constant. We also saw the film, ‘Red Dog’, which we loved – can’t believe the talent of the dog in this film.

Wes has had lots of meetings this week, about Rotary, ROMAC, Hepburn Voices and the Art Show, while I have enjoyed a massage with Ann, attended Strong classes, distributed raffle tickets to Rotarians and spent time with sponsors of the Art Show. I missed the launch of the Daylesford District Community Bank on Thursday night, as both times I have taken the synacthen test; I have experienced a violent reaction about 24 hours later with an asthma attack accompanied by nausea and diarrhoea. Sitting at the Town Hall at night trying to operate a laptop and needing to be near the loo didn’t seem like an ideal mix. Fortunately Wes has taped lots of Poirot and Miss Marple on MyStar, so I have been enjoying watching them when I haven’t been doing cryptics, logic problems or reading Difficult Crime Writers!

Wes has also been doing most of the cooking over the past couple of weeks and we have enjoyed some stunning seafood masterpieces, although he did cheat by getting Kim at Café 3460 to make sweets!                        
Frodo trying to get onto our bed
Yesterday I visited Viva, who is looking very good, and getting stronger each time I see her. I had bought her a Mason Pearson brush, which delighted her very much, and she bought some raffle tickets in return. She and Leanne just love Brian Nash’s paintings and she would love to win the first prize. I told her about my chronic fatigue, although I didn’t want to, but I need her to understand that I can’t always visit or ring. She was very understanding, of course, and pleased that I had pursued the issue.

Then off to the MCG along with 67,000+ others, where I met up with David and Danny. We had great seats on the wing on level P in the front row, which meant we got a little wet when it rained and very warm when the sun shone. Wes sent a message at ¾ time suggesting we were home and hosed, which meant the Weagles promptly shook off their doldrums and made a game of it. Wes has been banned from sending premature congratulations. It could be worse, David’s wife, Helen, who attended her first game in years, at the Geelong annihilation of the Pies, has been banned from attending the footy for life! We now have a weekend off and can watch the other teams fight for the chance to play us and Geelong in the Preliminary Finals.

Harry O, who played a blinder yesterday!

 Typical breakfast treats

We had a wonderful breakfast this morning. Although there were only six of us, Kim had not spared his creativity and we enjoyed lots of goodies. Judi’s good friend, Phil, was down from Sydney and they had been wining and dining him all weekend. It was good to see him again and conversation where Phil is involved is always interesting. Wes decided he didn’t want to go the MCG today to see Carlton take on Essendon, so we will be watching from the comfort of our lounge. The winner gets to go to WA to play the West Coast next Saturday evening, not an easy assignment.

P.S. Gillie had her knee replacement surgery on Monday afternoon and moved to rehab yesterday. Glenn, who has been through this himself, says her knee looks good and she is coming along very well, although she isn’t coping with not being in charge!


 Wes, Jane, Judi & Karen – 1979 Sigiriya, post the climb! Note the sarongs and thongs, which made climbing just that little bit more difficult

Finally, I heard a wonderful expression last week that I want to share with you - Relevance Deprivation Syndrome –sounds like a post-retirement disease! Hope I haven’t got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment