Morse

Morse
Morse & friend

Sunday 5 June 2011

Daylesford Dispatch - Sunday, 5th June 2011

Dear Friends, let me know what you think of my new layout, which I hope you can read easily. As I write, we have been experiencing very cold nights and early mornings, followed by beautiful sunny days, more Autumn than Winter perhaps and very welcome.

Since I last wrote, we have both been unwell, although Wes managed to cure his by spending Tuesday in bed and sleeping most of the day. He has wonderful recuperative powers, which is a very good thing as he doesn’t have the patience required to be a long-term bed-ridden patient.

My relapse was no doubt caused by going to the footy, although I was driven to the ground and collected afterwards, and it certainly wasn’t as cold at the MCG as it was here at home. The Pies played well and produced a highlights package to rival most of our good games, with Daisy Thomas putting in a blinder. Dannielle Anderson let me know that Kalarni would like Daisy’s number on her jumper and I suspect she would not be on her own. Collingwood’s children’s membership is called ‘Thommo’s Team 13’, so kids are already on his side, even before his recent wonderful feats.

Lovely recent photo of Malachi, Irish, Kalarni & Dublin Anderson

While I was at the footy, Wes visited Joan Testro, who was having respite care at Cabrini and they spent an enjoyable time together sharing memories and telling stories. We came straight home after the footy, even though dinner in Little Bourke Street had been offered, and were very pleased to get back here before the darkness completely descended. So were Bilbo and Frodo, who were worried that their dinner-time had come and gone.

I spent most of Monday in bed, while Wes got on with some of his current projects – apart from the Family Trees, he is also working hard on ‘Hepburn Voices’ and took his first training session with Eddie Beacham as the pupil and John Smith with the video camera. He also took Barbara to play Chess at the RSL and came home to make another yummy dinner.

On Tuesday, I was feeling much better, so did the shopping and the cooking for a change, while Wes slept. We had cancelled golf and anything else we could in an effort to get on top of this Winter unwellness. By Wednesday we both felt up to going out, so Wes took Barbara shopping while I played Mah Jong with Carol, Dot & Valerie. We had a lovely time together, Kim gave us scones, jam and cream for Morning Tea and after a bowl of his warming soup I came back here and collapsed into bed, where I was able to watch a replay of Sunday’s footy.

It was more of the same on Thursday – I went to the U3A Morning Tea at Cafe 3460, while Wes had a meeting with Ivor Bowen who is keen to get involved with ‘Hepburn Voices’. Two young men from Austar arrived to install MyStar as we have been unable to tape any programmes since the country changeover to digital TV. I couldn’t get my head around MyStar, but Wes could and organised it and I am an instant convert. I am especially thrilled that I can tape straight from the Austar TV Guide on my computer –much easier than navigating around the TV controls. Now Wes can tape whatever he would like to see and I can overdose on British Whodunits and Footy whenever I like. Sounds perfect.

This is Patrick Murray aged 4 months – Squiz & Jan’s first Grand-Hawk



Wes had a wonderful day on Friday – he left early to give his father’s golf clubs to his nephew, Leon, and they played a round at Royal Park together, lunching afterwards at ‘Bridie O’Reilly’ aka the ‘Sarah Sands’. Later in the afternoon he visited Joan Testro again, before having dinner at ‘Fog’ in Prahran, with cousin Lexie Cywinski. He arrived home around 11pm, very pleased with the day he had spent catching up with some special people. Meanwhile, I had my hair done, took the boys for a walk to the Post Office in the afternoon sun and went to bed early again.

Carol Bruce and I were due to go to the Collingwood vs St Kilda game at the MCG last night, but decided neither of us could afford to be out in the night air. I hate missing the footy, but it was a wise decision, as last night was very cold. Carol would have enjoyed the first half, but not the second and at least at home, she could turn off the radio and/or TV. St Kilda played very well considering their injuries and was overrun in the end by a fitter team.

This morning we have enjoyed a splendid breakfast – Kim is outdoing himself since he moved to serving breakfast on platters – today’s special dish was individual mushroom soufflés, which were light and flavoursome and earned an extra round of applause. Michael declared Andrew Krakouer his new favourite Collingwood player, then headed to Melbourne to catch up with his good friend, Roger; while Judi’s close friend, Carol, was driving to Daylesford to spend the day with her. Gillie has booked her trip to South Africa to look after her sister, Wendy, post Wendy’s hip operation; Jan has already been promoted in Strong; John is bursting to start videoing for ‘Hepburn Voices’; Glenn is still working in Warrandyte during the week repairing some glass panels; Wes was in fine form stirring us all and getting into politics, and Barbara reported that Bobby, the cat, is just loving life with her.

Some of the Breakfast Group at the Ballarat Races recently

L-R Front Row - Gail, Barbara & Jan; Back Row - Judi, Wes, Michael, Terry & Karen

Other news is that Viva continues to improve slowly but surely and her water damage claim repairs have finally been completed after nearly 5 months; my sister, Paun, and her husband, Brian, have closed their Tathra café for 10 days to have a break at Merimbula and prepare to be open all through Winter; Wes put up an old VLGA photo on Facebook which prompted a contact from his friend, Rae Perry, who has remarried, left the VLGA and involved herself as convenor of the Australia Timor-Leste Friendship Group; Jane Knox’s father has had a couple of heart attacks and is awaiting a pacemaker, and I’ve been to the Doctor and am booked in for blood tests tomorrow to see what is wrong with me.

So there we are – it is bitterly cold this morning and it will be very easy to stay indoors, now that the Market shopping has been done. We will watch Carlton vs Port Adelaide this afternoon in front of the fire and I will probably make a pot of minestrone to get us through the week.

P.S. If you would like to save any of these photos on your computer, just let me know and I will send them to you or you can find them on Wes’s Facebook page.

Mark & Grace’s wedding day 24th September 94

L-R Matthew, Shane, Mark, Grace, Jessica, Joyce & Manny


No comments:

Post a Comment